Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite catsup?

Heinz Organic.

I do make a fresh tomato jam that is so good.  It has the same consistency as ketchup. 

Trusted Contributor

@sophiesofers wrote:

@stuyvesant  not really a fan of ketchup, or mustard or mayo either.  I know, I am a boring eater.  

I'm with you!  When I was growing up, you roasted meats and buttered breads, and you were told to be darn grateful to get them.

But nowadays, apparently catsup in America is made with high fructose corn syrup, which people don't like, so countries like Canada have banned them.  So a brand may make different catsup in Canada, say, then in the U.S.

So if I say I like this or that catsup, some other person may say - who cares? - but actually it's a real hot busson issue, because of the high fructose corn syrup.

Valued Contributor

I grew up on Heinz so that's all I buy.

@Bri36 Would love the fresh tomato jam recipe.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

I don't use ketchup often, but I like Brooks. 

Respected Contributor

Rokeach. Wonderful stuff. They don't use high fructose corn syrup, but I don't know if that's why it's so good. I can only get it at my local supermarket during the Passover season, so I stock up. 

If you can get hold of a bottle, try it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper

2 pounds tomatoes (I've used a combo of regular tomatoes and even cherry tomatoes)

1/2 cup brown sugar

Salt and Pepper to taste

5 Tbsp lemon juice (I've used red wine vinegar)

(I've also added in basil or jalapeno - you can experiment with different flavors.  Chipotle would be good too)

Place tomatoes in pot of boiling water for a minute or two.  Remove from water and peel skin.

Cut tomatoes and remove seeds.  (Sometimes I remove and seeds and other times I don't.  It's preference, IMO)

Place tomatoes, brown sugar, salt and pepper, lemon juice (and anything else you're adding) into food processor.  You can make it smooth or chunky (depending on your preference)

Place mixture in a pan and bring to a boil.  Keep it on the heat for 10 minutes stirring frequently.  Don't let it burn.  Reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.  It should be thick. 

Cool and store in a container in the fridge for up to a week. 

It's very good. 

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I buy Del Monte, and have for decades.  I like it best because it tastes more like the main ingredient to me, not too sweet and not too vinegary.

For me, the one that most people seem to like, Heinz, was just way too vinegary.

Choices, though!  Smiley Happy  Always good.

Honored Contributor

I grew up on Kroger brand, but buy DelMonte or Heinz for my family.   

Trusted Contributor

It's interesting, though - when you get context.

Next time you see someone say "I love their catsup," you know you're dealing with an internet warrior, someone who is saying, "I don't care about this stuff.  I like the taste."  

So if you do care about that stuff, you can take that into account.  And then talk about some other delicious stiuff they make.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@SandPiper

2 pounds tomatoes (I've used a combo of regular tomatoes and even cherry tomatoes)

1/2 brown sugar

Salt and Pepper to taste

5 Tbsp lemon juice (I've used red wine vinegar)

(I've also added in basil or jalapeno - you can experiment with different flavors.  Chipotle would be good too)

Place tomatoes in pot of boiling water for a minute or two.  Remove from water and peel skin.

Cut tomatoes and remove seeds.  (Sometimes I remove and seeds and other times I don't.  It's preference, IMO)

Place tomatoes, brown sugar, salt and pepper, lemon juice (and anything else you're adding) into food processor.  You can make it smooth or chunky (depending on your preference)

Place mixture in a pan and bring to a boil.  Keep it on the heat for 10 minutes stirring frequently.  Don't let it burn.  Reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.  It should be thick. 

Cool and store in a container in the fridge for up to a week. 

It's very good. 

Smiley Happy

@Bri36

how much brown sugar?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein