Honored Contributor

Do you have a clothing "malfunction" you can share? Or the story about one?

Mine begins with my mother-in-law.  It's funny.  She laughed louder and harder than I did. Turns out she wore her slacks backwards when we went out shopping. Elastic waist.

When we got home from shopping, she rubbed her hands down the top pant leg part of her slacks as she sat down.  There was evidentally a stitching down each leg, like a pleat. She noticed it wasn't there.  She felt around to the back, and busted out laughing to tell me what she'd done.  It is a sweet memory of her, we two shared.  

Do you have a clothing malfunction story to share?

Super Contributor

Re: Do you have a clothing "malfunction" you can share? Or the story about one?

This is my friend's story and I know she would not mind me sharing.  She was geting new clothes for her class reunion together.  In her closet she fouond the perfect pair of sandals to wear---they were quite old but still in fashion.  She went to the reunion---soon noticed crumbles all over the floor where she was sitting??? Then she walked and realized she was leaving a trail of crumbles---the cork sole was deteriorating with every step!  

Honored Contributor

I HAVE worn mis-matched shoes...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

At least twice, I wore one navy & one black shoe to work! Heel heights were the same, and I didn't notice til hours later when I happened to look down at my feet while walking around the office.

Once I had a shoe come completely apart when I crouched to get into a lower file drawer. DH dropped me off at work, so no car. This happened in the morning, so I really needed shoes! I called and asked him to run to the nearby Kmart and buy me the cheapest pair of sneakers he could find. He did, and I was good for the day...but my co-workers got a kick out of the whole thing! Thankfully, I did not work with the public, so sneakers were OK for the day.

Honored Contributor

Back in the '80's I was at a dance club with a bunch of friends one rowdy Saturday night. I was wearing one of those strapless bustier tops made popular by Madonna back then. Out on the dance floor while dancing my butt off, that bustier top decided to buckle down around my waist and I was exposed! But the sad part about my story is that after a few rounds of beer that night, I didn't even notice what had happened until the song was over! 🫢🤣

Honored Contributor

Never shoes, but socks.  As a child I once put on a brown scok and a black sock.  Didn't notice till I went to school.  I felt so ashamed!  Another time at camp, I have a photo of me in two different prints that clashed.

Don't have fashion goofs as an adult, unless I count the time I wore a top inside out.  But I had a sweater over it, so it doesn't count. 

I once saw a photo of an actress who was sitting down on some steps.  She had on one black sock and a white one.  The caption discreetly said nothing about that. 

Respected Contributor

Boy, do I EVER!  Many yrs ago when I was a young 20-something newlywed, hubs and I went to a theme park for his employer's summer outing - I got to meet all his co-workers and it was a nice, sunny day.  A group wanted to go on the "log ride" which is essentially a mini roller-coaster on water.  The "fun" part is getting wet when you splash down at the bottom.  These type of rides were not my cup of tea as I didn't want to walk around the rest of the day with my hair wet and makeup washed away.  I told the group that I would wait in line with them but exit when it was time to board.  It was a long wait and the entire time I was watching the ride splash down, but people were not getting wet at all.  By the time it was time to board I decided that it would be safe and I would join everyone and not be such a "stick in the mud". 

Anybody guess what happened next?  Yep!  Sure, thing, I got thoroughly dunked and soaked.  But the least of my worries was my hair and makeup.  I had worn a peach-colored jumpsuit with spaghetti straps (thus, no bra), and when wet, it stuck to me like an invisible wet t-shirt, the peach color blended with my skin tone to make me look completely nude.  Did I mention I was with all my husband's co-workers???  What a first impression! 

To this day I wonder if the ride operator saw me coming and made some kind of adjustment to get me extra soaked. 

Respected Contributor

About 20 years ago, on the first day of a new school year, I had carefully thought out my outfit.  It was still the days where we as teachers wore those jumpers.  I had one made with pandas all over it.  I was teaching Kindergarten and I knew the kiddos would love it!

Well, I got the outfit on just fine.  Everything seemed well until I go to the school.  I had gone out the door with mismatched shoes.  The shoes also did not match my jumper.  Well, I have very small feet, so I "borrowed" the pair of girls' shoes from the Housekeeping center.  I don't know what I would have done now because Kindergarteners don't play in those type of centers much anymore.Cat LOL

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

We were hurrying to leave for a wedding with our 3 children- a very little one and 2 very young ones.

I had on a skirt and stockings and the last days of red nail polish.

While leaving and stepping down from the porch steps, I had my youngest daughters pink lunch box in hand w/snacks and bottle, chipped red nail polish and oh just great! looked down and the hose had started a lovely run.

Nothing to do but go. I will never forget that!Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

I've walked out of a restroom with my skirt tucked into my tights several times over the years. Although this is more "user error" than "malfunction."