Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a HOARDING problem?

Even after closing down my summer apartment and combining what I couldn't part with with the condo I have owned for nearly 20 years, I have nothing in the condo that I cannot store out of sight. I know I can still cull some "treasure," but I do not consider myself a hoarder.

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I'm not a hoarder, I just have TOO much stuff!  I've lived in the same house for 42 years, and stuff accumulates.  I've worked on decluttering, but I have a long ways to go.

This is me

Respected Contributor

I just organized my bathroom with bins bought at Dollar Tree & discovered I had 7 bottles of my favorite mouthwash, enough 3 pack of toothbrushes to last for years & 13 large tubes of toothpaste...I'll use them but made a mental note to ✋. Thanks for posting yours @RinaRina

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The opposite. I'm more of a minimalist as years pass - turning into my military dad. I'm unsettled around clutter. Clutter is an emotional subject. 

A motivation for me to avoid clutter: Before dad passed, he downsized and moved into apartment. His apartment was sparse and spotless when he passed. His finances were in order, with notes. Love him dearly for that.

When in-laws recently moved to senior center, they walked away from their home and left their grown kids to clean up and sell furniture, tools, junky decor and home. Then we had an estate sale with proceeds going into their account. They thought their junk was worth more. I even emptied their medicine cabinets and refrigerator. I predicted that would happen decades ago. Don't love them dearly for that.

Ope - The subject of hoarding hits my touch point or emotional trigger.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

I'm not a hoarder, I just have TOO much stuff!  I've lived in the same house for 42 years, and stuff accumulates.  I've worked on decluttering, but I have a long ways to go.

This is me

and me @SeaMaiden @mac116  

Honored Contributor

No, not at all.  I'm not a minimalist, but I'm close.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I'm not a hoarder but I do have a stockpile of stuff since the covid lockdown last year. My spare room has boxes of cat food, coffee, packaged soup, tissues, etc stacked up. It's gradually become smaller (thank goodness) as my initial anxiety has decreased.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I just organized my bathroom with bins bought at Dollar Tree & discovered I had 7 bottles of my favorite mouthwash, enough 3 pack of toothbrushes to last for years & 13 large tubes of toothpaste...I'll use them but made a mental note to ✋. Thanks for posting yours @RinaRina

@kitcat51 Check the dates on the toothpaste and the mouthwash. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm the opposite for sure. Can't stand piles of "stuff" everywhere or multitudes of product. I purchase the item when I need it and don't buy more than I can use.

Honored Contributor

Too much stuff weighs me down so I purge our rooms twice a year. There is a shelf in our linen closet for the things I have extras of...bath gels, lotions, toothpaste and so on.