Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a HOARDING problem?

[ Edited ]

@VenturaHighway wrote:

If your hoarding has filled your home to capacity, then you may have a problem.

When it comes to make-up, shampoo etc, the date that they are bought is important to me.

If you have to throw away products that are too old, then you may have a problem.

This is the way I feel but we all have different views of hoarding.

==========================================

Cleared the hallway last nite.  I'd been using the hallway as an "open" storage closet.

What a difference!  I can walk down the hall without bumping into a bookshelf!

Today, I'm going to check the expiration dates on the conditioners -- then do a major dump.

EDIT:
I don't see an expiration date on the conditioners.

EDIT:

But I did find a SISLEY face cream - probably used once.  I know I bought it at least 7 years ago. It made my eyes water and I clearly remember thinking it might be a "fake".

Never thru it away because SISLEY is very expensive.

Oh well - in the trash it goes.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

There are more important things in life then hoarding materialistic things.  I only buy what need and can use.

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@mac116   @SeaMaiden    Another one with too much stuff, but have been on a no buy on comestics, Lock n lock and anything kitchen.  I keep a decent stocked pantry, but make sure items are rotated constantly.  No more home decor purchases either.  Thank god I don’t have an attic or basement, so it is some control at least.  Two full closets of clothes, so need another purge in there.  

Still too too much of living here 30 years.  I’m proud of myself that I passed on the last three BBW semi annual sales.  The body wash and hand soap is almost in a controlled amount.  

@lynnie61 

I can't tell you how many B&BW lotions and body washes I had to toss after our house fire.  I had a whole closet shelf of Vanilla Bean Noel.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am definitely not a hoarder.  I've relocated to new areas during my lifetime, so the opportunity was there to get rid of "stuff".  

I also purge (donate) clothing/shoes at least once a year.  I don't see how some can own 100's of shoes.  How could you possibly wear them all?  

Honored Contributor

Perhaps, my thing is this ,if i really like a certain item, i will buy several, or at least 2 or more. Just in case they stop making the item.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I am definitely not a hoarder.  I've relocated to new areas during my lifetime, so the opportunity was there to get rid of "stuff".  

I also purge (donate) clothing/shoes at least once a year.  I don't see how some can own 100's of shoes.  How could you possibly wear them all?  

@San Antonio Gal 

Easy.  If you're a centipede. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@GenXmuse 

I remember you mentioned fairly recently that you were moving, that's always a good time to get rid of things.  Sounds like you're good though about accumulating excess.

Did the move go ok and happy with the new place?  I'll probably never leave Colorado but I always watch other states' house renovation shows to get an idea of what else is out there.  Woman Happy

Hi @rockygems123 

You're so kind to remember my move coming up.  It's not until June but I've got a lot of things I don't use every day boxed up and things ready to donate or haul off! I lived in Colorado for about twenty years and it is a great place to live-I'm probably out priced of the market now but I have fond memories of my time there. Have a great day!

Honored Contributor

You would have to define 'hoarding' and 'hoarder' first. 

In my opinion, hoarding is obtaining and keeping things that you don't really want, need, use and never will. It can be garbage, like the TV show demonstrates, or it can be a very clean endeavor, but just boxing up and stacking up things you will never use.

Then there is the joking reference to the term, like someone who has a lot of something and they say they 'hoard' handbags (or shoes, or dishes etc.). They have a lot, they want more, but they tend to use/wear/rotate/display/share what they have.

I can be accused of the second definition. I have more of many things than I will use at one time, but I tend to rotate things in my kitchen and home decor on a regular basis and use my 'hoard'.

What I never have a hoarding issue with is beauty products, or anything whatsoever in the fashion category. Don't have much (some instances none) of those things.

There are many people that consider having more than just a couple of weeks of things like food and household needs to be hoarding too. I do not, and never have, and the pandemic has proven that to be a misconception. 

I belong to the camp of people who stock and store a year's supply of food and household goods (like laundry supplies, cleaning products, tp and other bathroom essentials etc.). I don't consider it a hoard because it is well organized, rotated, used up, and not wasted. Often I donate from it and give to family from it as well. None of it is just put back and left to sit for years on end and not used. 

So do I have more of some things than I immediately need? Yes. Do I rotate and use my excess supply of things that I have, Yes.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

I just organized my bathroom with bins bought at Dollar Tree & discovered I had 7 bottles of my favorite mouthwash, enough 3 pack of toothbrushes to last for years & 13 large tubes of toothpaste...I'll use them but made a mental note to ✋. Thanks for posting yours @RinaRina

@kitcat51 Check the dates on the toothpaste and the mouthwash. 

=============================================================

@CelticCrafter  - WHAT!!???? toothpaste and mouthwash have expiration dates???!!!

@RinaRina 

Yes they do. But don't sweat it. They are just fine for years past, as long as they haven't gotten super cold or super hot. I'm living proof! lol

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina,  no, I don't have a hoarding problem, but I do have a weakness for pretty items, like glass, ceramics, candlesticks etc.   When we moved into this fairly compact cottage decades ago, I knew there'd have to be limits.   I don't start any collections, and drastically thinned out the ones I already had.

If I LOVE something I'll get it, but have to know of a place for it, and always get rid of something in turn.   @rnmom

over in the "Home" section has a great ongoing thread called "Declutter 2021" which is a big help in that regard-- the posters there provide regular encouragement to declutter and donate the extraneous stuff-- not the treasures-- that inevitably build up in daily life.