Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a HOARDING problem?

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

I just organized my bathroom with bins bought at Dollar Tree & discovered I had 7 bottles of my favorite mouthwash, enough 3 pack of toothbrushes to last for years & 13 large tubes of toothpaste...I'll use them but made a mental note to ✋. Thanks for posting yours @RinaRina

@kitcat51 Check the dates on the toothpaste and the mouthwash. 

Thanks for thoughtful tip @CelticCrafter  but know I bought them within the last year.

I volunteer shop for others who are stuck at home because of covid & just mindlessly tossed them in another cart for myself because I was in the store. Had a good laugh, don't know what I was thinking.

Honored Contributor

Yarn.  It's a common issue among kntters/crocheters.  

Books. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not a hoarder but I do have a lot of stuff. But when I buy something new - anything for the house like decor or kitchen appliances - I always get rid of the old thing that is being replaced.

But, boy, if I didn't keep my DH in check we would be overrun with his stuff. He never wants to throw anything out, even if it's broken. We don't go so much any more but when we used to go to outlet malls he liked to buy shirts and pants at good prices. I got him to organize his closet last month and hang everything on the nice velvet hangers to save space. He had 71 pairs of pants! And almost as many shirts that have never even been opened. I tried to get him to pick out old shirts to give away and wear some of the new ones. Nope. The old ones are still good and he's saving the new ones. For what I have no idea. Anyway I organized them all and packed them into storage boxes to look neat. Aaargh!

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, I do.   I'm running out of room in my house.  I've got to get rid of some of this stuff.  

Honored Contributor

I could NEVER be anything close to a hoarder! I live in a much small home than I used to. I have no storage space. I must keep everything I own at a bare minimum. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 ,

So wonderful how old your dogs were! What kind were they?

I bet you took such good care and love for them.

Everything you described sounded like so many things I did too and distributing and mailing pictures, letters etc to family across the country when we moved or clearing out from my father's house, giving things and albums to children, donating books and on and on.

And I used to be a one necklace, one ring and watch type person,

but I wil say now after watching QVC for many years I have too much jewelry but I like it; not that I wear most of it now.

Anyway, I felt like what you posted I could have tooSmiley Happy 

Though now that I'm a grandmother,

my place does kind of look like a photo studio, but my delightful children give me pictures and I take some and I love to look at them all

and keep them out. I'm sure now to me and others it does look cluttered but a good kind of clutter (even though normally I don't like "clutter."

But maybe contained clutter is a good thing 😊

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

No but only because I feel nervous in a home with too much stuff. We raised our children in a relatively small apartment, so out of necessity, I needed to constantly edit "stuff." I was so proud when the mover showed up for us to move into our new home and proceed to tell me, it was the most organized home he had moved in his entire career. I read a lot of Don Asslett books, long before the minimalism trend. So even though we now have a lot of room, there is quite a lot of closet space that goes unused...

Respected Contributor

Since I've moved from a three-bedroom house (with basement and attic) to a two-bedroom apartment, I've been getting rid of a lot. It's a continual process, since I really want to save everything.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have my own personal rule of  'one in, one out' . In other words, if I buy something new then I have to get rid of something old. This takes a little planning but it is straight forward and it doesn't require a lot of thought. 

===========================

Ewwwhhhh!  From now on, that's what I need to do.

Such a shame to dump the conditioners.  Most of them I don't even remember using more than once.

Thanks for the tip.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I'm not a hoarder, I just have TOO much stuff!  I've lived in the same house for 42 years, and stuff accumulates.  I've worked on decluttering, but I have a long ways to go.

=======================================================

Same here.  I'm getting new windows installed and ordered them around late Feb/early March.  The contractor called on TUESDAY and said, "your windows are here, we can install them on FRIDAY".  I told him, I'd just started decluttering and wouldn't be ready for another week.  That's FIFTY years of accumulated stuff I have to move.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."