Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you give your significant other holiday gifts and why

We stopped the pressure of gifts years ago. And there are no hard feelings. DH might get me flowers and I might present a website to him to choose a gift that he likes -- like an LLBean jacket or shirt (which I then order for him) ; but we don't expect gifts and there are no surprises if one gives the other something or not.  BEST WISHES for perhaps a new Hanukkah tradition! -Solar1

Honored Contributor

We are and have been at the point where if we want something, we buy it.  We don't need "stuff" just to say we exchange gifts.  This past year we went on more vacations than usual and had decided that would be our Christmas.  I did get him something from the dog and he generally gets me a charm for my bracelet from the dog.

My sister and I have also decided not to exchange this year either for the same reason.  We just don't need anything else and when we do want something we buy it. We went on a family vacation in September and that was what we spent our money on in place of exchanging.

I have 2 nieces and I'd rather buy for them.  I love seeing their little faces so excited.      

Honored Contributor

DH & I stopped exchanging Christmas gifts years ago. Our families don’t exchange gifts either, but we still give $ to our nieces & nephews (we have no children) to spend on something they want. We give to lots of charities all year. We don’t exchange for birthdays or our anniversary either. We do give each other cards & like to go out to dinner. We buy what we want when we want. We also spend money on vacations & fixing up our house. 

Respected Contributor

Of course we exchange gifts with each other at holidays and often just for fun. Also found him the perfect Christmas card today - I have a big beautiful antique floral hatbox full of cards we have exchanged over the years. Why, you ask - just grateful that we have each other Heart

Honored Contributor

No, we prefer to pay down any existing debt or save/invest.

Respected Contributor

So happy we stopped that. I got myself a tv last month & DH needs new computer but will wait til after the holidays. We just get what we want threw out the year. My FIL gets a check, DD & her B/F we buy for usually things for the house or car. Can't forget their dog too. I give to food bank & Humane Society.  Married over 40yrs & DH is the worse gift giver, hands me the bag (not wrapped) seems he goes into a store grabs whatever perfume set is there & he is done. LOL so now we said No more we stop. He can't handle the stress so now just fun watching DD & her B/F open it up. I will try to scoop up the Xmas 50% off decorations for next year after the holidays. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

We prefer to select something for the poor  instead. We buy things for ourselves all the time

My DH and I stopped giving to each other when our first daughter was little.  Throughout the holiday season we give to various charities, Habitat for Humanity, Toys for Tots as well as the local homeless shelter and food bank. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclets   I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1