Honored Contributor

Re: Do you give tips to workmen?

@FranandZoe wrote:

My husband always did and I have been.  But now I'm wondering.  I have a guy coming out tomorrow to reattach a piece of soffit (I think) that came down a few days ago during a storm.  For what he's charging ($250) and for how long it's likely to take him (not long) I just don't know.  But he does have to get up on a pretty tall ladder.  And I appreciate this guy is coming out so quickly and he does all sorts of handyman and yard type work so I may be able to use him in the future.  So I probably should give a tip.  But how much?  20%?

Absolutely not...

Respected Contributor

yes I do. Most of them work their butts off and probably don't get paid  enough so I make sure they get some appreciation from me.

Respected Contributor

I clean, cook, do the shopping, wash clothes, scrub toilets, wash windows, take care of the books, etc., etc., etc.  Nobody tips me.  How much do you think I should be tipped?  Think I'll start a union.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

My husband always did and I have been.  But now I'm wondering.  I have a guy coming out tomorrow to reattach a piece of soffit (I think) that came down a few days ago during a storm.  For what he's charging ($250) and for how long it's likely to take him (not long) I just don't know.  But he does have to get up on a pretty tall ladder.  And I appreciate this guy is coming out so quickly and he does all sorts of handyman and yard type work so I may be able to use him in the future.  So I probably should give a tip.  But how much?  20%?

Absolutely not...

@Mom2Dogs I agree! It's a service for a set price.  It's a job and someone is doing it for the agreed upon amount.  What about people who can't afford to add to every job done.  Are we putting them at a disadvantage by getting workpeople to expect something extra?  No tip, hard feelings?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Absolutely not...

@Mom2Dogs I agree! It's a service for a set price.  It's a job and someone is doing it for the agreed upon amount.  What about people who can't afford to add to every job done.  Are we putting them at a disadvantage by getting workpeople to expect something extra?  No tip, hard feelings?

Two years ago we had to have a piece of siding reinstalled on the 2nd floor of the house...the wind blew the piece of siding off.  I do not remember what the guy charged, but he was not at the house more than 20 minutes and I was shocked at how much he billed me.

I realize my husband could not do the job but I really thought he over charged....no way would I have tipped him.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

yes I do. Most of them work their butts off and probably don't get paid  enough so I make sure they get some appreciation from me.

My friend's sons...both college educated....work for a contractor.   They do walks and ceilings.  Plaster work.  They do work their butts off.   They both make $40 an hour.  They make at least $100k, more than some of the people they are working for.  More than they made as teachers.  No one tips teachers.   We should not assume that blue collar jobs are low paying.  

Honored Contributor

Roof people are coming today for replace our roof.  A tip is the last that thing I'm thinking of.  I't cost thousands and thousands.

Valued Contributor

No.  They are already getting paid to do the job.  If they did something extra as a "courtesy" and didn't charge me for it then that's a different story but if they only did what was quoted then no.  Also, if I did give them extra cash for the "courtesy" it would only be $10 or $20 as a "thank you" (depending on what it is) since they did it on their own and not something I requested.  I agree with the other poster who said tipping for quoted jobs, or for what is becoming tipping for everything for that matter, is only perpetuating what is already getting out of hand. 

Respected Contributor

There's some really stingy, tight-fisted misers on this board. Money issues can bring out the worst in people and this is a perfect example. Puts me in mind of Ebenezer Scrooge.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

There's some really stingy, tight-fisted misers on this board. Money issues can bring out the worst in people and this is a perfect example. Puts me in mind of Ebenezer Scrooge.

You have noticed @GoneButNotForgotten ?🤣🤣🤣