Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you give tips to workmen?

I agree with the majority not to tip the workman. If he has gone above and beyond the required job, then yes. Otherwise, doing what he is expected to do and being paid, no tip. The whole thing is out of control and people should not feel  pressured to tip. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

No, I do not. In fact it never even occurred to me.

I do offer them a bottle of water. I do that for anyone that comes and performs a service at my home. Especially, since it's so hot. 

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

My husband always did and I have been.  But now I'm wondering.  I have a guy coming out tomorrow to reattach a piece of soffit (I think) that came down a few days ago during a storm.  For what he's charging ($250) and for how long it's likely to take him (not long) I just don't know.  But he does have to get up on a pretty tall ladder.  And I appreciate this guy is coming out so quickly and he does all sorts of handyman and yard type work so I may be able to use him in the future.  So I probably should give a tip.  But how much?  20%?

@FranandZoe Is he the owner?  Did he set the price or does he work for a company?  If he's the owner then I wouldn't give a tip.

I'm having work done right now.  I have the owner who is a contractor working on my foyer, hallway, hall bath & spare bedroom.  He does a fantastic job and so far has not asked for a penny. 

He should be finishing tomorrow and will send me a bill.  I know it will be a lot and don't plan on giving extra.  He has arrived at the price that he believes is fair to him.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, no.  This is why tipping is so out of control

In a situation like that I most certainly would not tip 20%. You pay the bill and that's it.  However if it was a particularly difficult job or if weather conditions were bad, I'd give the workers a $20 bill in appreciation.  

Honored Contributor

As long as a worker does what he's being paid to do and nothing extra or exceptional, no I would not pay him extra.  Where does this end?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'm a good tipper, however, he quoted you a job price.  I MAY give him $20 for lunch, but in this case would NOT tip 20%.  I tip furniture delivery people, tip my ups and postal workers at Christmas.  AND my hairdresser who is the owner of the great salon.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

As long as a worker does what he's being paid to do and nothing extra or exceptional, no I would not pay him extra.  Where does this end?

@Kachina624      All these "repair people" blame the problem on my "OLD" house.      Ummmm.....what were they expecting????     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi.  Point out that your old house is their job security.  Not much to fix on new houses.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Again thanks everyone!

Trusted Contributor

If your A/C went out and you call the business you usually call to fix it and they send you the bill, do you add 20% to it? 

NO...it's the same thing.