Respected Contributor

Re: Do you give tips to workmen?

If it is his business...no. I tip only employees who are not pocketing the fee. The only time I might tip an owner if he/she comes to do one job sees something else and fixes it without charge.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

This is crazy,  people feeling they have to  "tip " .  Not sure where all this tip  idea began, maybe back in the day some old  handyman might  " cut you a deal on labor  or pass onto savings on parts " but  anymore people are charging   you for every aspect of  being employed such as not only for gas but maintain on their vehicles, auto insurance, health insurance ,  and their shop  utilities .

So, where does this end for  those on a tight budget ????  We also have many people working at stores that  feel everyone should tip them to pay for  doing their job  and providing  decent service . You see tipping jars  at self  service  areas  asking to pay for their employees  college  tuition .

I don't mind the car washes where  volunteer students  " earn " money by washing my car and I have the  choice of giving more than required but at least they  provided me a service .

Frequent Contributor

My husband always tips the guys that do work on the house. I tell him they are charging us enough for the work. He says if you tip them, the next time we might need them they will do a good job.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we tip. My husband, when he was in college, used to deliver furniture for Abraham &Straus. He got good tips so ever since he is very generous with tipping. We had a guy in from Task Rabbit recently that he tipped to do some caulking. He fixed a closet door the next time free of charge. He calls monthly and asks if he can help us with anything. Added bonus he looks like Paul Newman.🤣😀

Trusted Contributor

I would not tip for this unless there is something extra done that he doesn't charge you for. I tip the landscape workers that we have help us because they usually do extra things for me and I also make sure they have drinks and food if they are here over lunch. I know they appreciate the extra few bucks in their pocket and the meal. I have an electrician here putting in a 50 amp line for the motorhome and I made sure he knows there is water and soft drinks, fruit and snacks in the garage fridge for them. I appreciate & respect the folks that work here for us and want them to know it.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

🤑  No one should ever feel the pressure to tip any workman as an assurance of quality service. Anyone who makes you feel that way needs to go.

Respected Contributor

No
Honored Contributor

Yes, if it is well deserved or if I feel someone went the extra mile for me. 

Honored Contributor

I do not tip workmen for doing their job.  Now, if I ask if they can  " do me an extra"  in addition to what they came to fix and they do, I will pay extra for their service.

I once had a repairman to fix my refrigerator ( under warranty, no cost to me).  After he was finished, I asked him if he could look at another refrigerator in my garage that wasn't keeping food cold enough.

He found a problem and fixed it...I tipped him $100.  It was worth it...a new service call would be more than that.

I have had eight trees cut down in my yard and the stumps removed.  I did not tip the workmen, who were the owners.  Trust me, they charged enough to make a huge profit.

Hanging a piece of soffit is easy.  $250 is more than enough for that job.  My husband would do it for no cost if you were our neighbor.  I wouldn't tip him.