Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you give food for birthday gifts?

Since I am a chocolate addict, my family knows what to get me.  Anything chocolate.  My sons who live in other states, send me gift certificates for hubby and I eat to out at a nice restaurant.  The others, who live nearby, come over and bring me anything chocolate.  I, on the other hand, give them gift certificates, since they want for nothing and I wouldn't know what their taste is that week anyway.......  To answer the OP question, I see nothing wrong in giving food for a birthday gift, as long as it is something the "giver" is sure the recipient will appreciate it......   A nice Birthday cake isn't bad either......

Honored Contributor

I've given food baskets, like several cheeses, cute cheese spreaders and a bottle or two of wine. 

We have a close friend who loves hot tasting food, so one year I gave him a basket with a variety of bottles of hot sauces, from Tabasco to wild brands.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

We used to give my MIL lobsters and my FIL KC steaks for their birthdays.  My in-laws NEVER went to a restaurant and were too frugal to splurge on something like lobster or steak.

My father loved Cheryl's cookies so I always sent him a big box for special days.

So many people think restaurant gift cards are the answer to what to give.  I cannot tell you how we've received to restaurants we do not like.  Some were passed on to others, but some were never used.

I agree. Some people just assume others like to eat out or will like a particular restaurant, when indeed they don't. Giving a restaurant gift card requires knowing where people like to eat.

Oftentimes on here, gift cards for the coffee house are suggested as the perfect gift. I hate coffee, and that would be a wasted one here as well. 

Gift cards are only great gifts if you know the person well enough to know where they shop or eat.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have given Trader Joe's gift cards to both of my sons when they

were in grad school.  They loved them!  I also give See's candy and

homemade food gifts to friends.  So many people have told me they have

too many "things". I hate to admit this, but so many of the things I have

received from well-meaning people have end up donated.

A nice bottle of wine,good quality candy, coffee/tea is usually appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a good idea to me but she's your mother; you'd know better than any of us if it's a present she would want.  I always wonder about people who say that friends or family "have everything".  No one has everything, billionaires don't even have everything they could possibly want.  Older people are harder to buy things but everyone wants something that they don't want to buy for themselves.  When my mom was alive (she passed at 84 years of age), I simply asked her for a list of 4 or 5 things she would like for her present and I bought her one or two.  Sometimes I shared the list with my siblings and we'd all buy something on the list.  People over the age of 12 really don't want to be surprised by a gift, they'd rather have something they want.  I remember one year my mom's list included specialty foods for stores in her former neighborhood.  Food she loved but couldn't get anymore after she moved.  So one year, I have her a half pound of her favorite deli liverwurst and and a box crackers from a deli she liked.  And she loved it!

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

I hate to resort to that, but my Mom's 80th BD is coming up.  She doesn't need anything!  She buys what she needs/wants.  I got her a Kindle/Amazon gift card for Mother's Day.

She has a Keurig and complains the Kcups are high priced.  She also likes flavored and plain coffees both.  I thought about getting her an assorted box of kcups and a big jar on her favorite Penzy's spice (Sunny Paris).

I have a stepdad, so of course he will be drinking/eating that stuff also.  What do you think?

It's probably that or another Kindle/Amazon gift card.

@mima I know my sister-in-law buys her K-cups at Marshalls. She said they don't always carry them and stocks up when she finds them.

I like giving food products to our family. My Dear Father loved cashews and always enjoyed them for a gift.

If you know what the person likes, I think it is a great idea.

Trusted Contributor

For Christmas last year, I put together a HUGE basket filled with 2 types of pasta, a box Arborio rice, 2 jars of Rao's pasta sauce, a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, a bottle of aged Balsamic vinegar, a jar of pesto, a jar of bruschetta, a big piece of imported parmigiano reggiano cheese, a bottle of balsamic glaze, a bottle of wine, and a cookbook for my neice who loves to cook. It was fun putting it together, and she LOVED it!

Trusted Contributor

MIMA, I think your idea sounds like a good one and one that will be appreciated.  I definitely understand when you say that she (they) have everything, but it sounds as if you are buying a gift that will be appreciated.  Making a nice gift basket would be great, with the Penzeys jar, maybe something she would really enjoy for breakfast...muffins, biscotti, unique breads/jams if she likes toast,  or a coffee cake.

Amazon gift card? K cups?  Wish you were in my family.  I like your choices.

Esteemed Contributor

yes, especially if the person likes a special something or other and doesn't need anything.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I just got my bff a few bottles of Global Gardens organic olive oil for her birthday/Mother's day present.  She raves about this at my house all the time.  So I treated her to some.  I belong to a club with this company and get several deliveries a year.  It makes a great present.  Well received.