Honored Contributor

Re: Do you give food for birthday gifts?

Yes, I do give food gifts to several people who absolutely do not want your run of the mill gifts of birthday type stuff.

My mother no longer drives, and while she has eaten fast food from many local drive thru restaurants, the only restaurant she's been inside, is Ryan's and Cracker Barrel.   She will eat whatever you deliver to her, but has no interest in going to the restaurant to eat.   Therefore, the only gift cards I give her are Walmart and Kroger. 

For Christmas last year, I bought a variety of groceries for mom, which included basic items like coffee and sugar, but also things I knew my mom liked, but never bought, such as different juices, frozen entrees, etc.   Mom loved the extra groceries, and didn't need to do any grocery shopping until late February.   

Honored Contributor

My mom, who passed away 4 years ago yesterday, loved to receive some of her homemade favorites for her birthday.  When she was no longer able to cook, she gave me all her recipes, and I made an effort to make sure she was treated to some of her favorite recipes all year round, not just for birthdays and holidays. She is the only person I have ever given food to for a birthday.  I give homemade cookies (again my mom's recipes) to family and friends at Christmas time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to give someone exactly what they want, determine what they already have way too much of and get them more of that item/category.  When we love something we tend to not be able to resist a new one of whatever it is.  If there is something you would find yourself saying “that is the LAST thing she needs more of”   THAT is what will make her heart sing!  And she will think you know & understand her love for it. Extreme excess of an item is a proclamation of what makes someone happy.  (Not talking about hoarders, just excess of select item/items.)  Things like books, or cookbooks, shoes, jewelry, maybe it is salt & pepper shakers or purses, etc.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

We used to give my MIL lobsters and my FIL KC steaks for their birthdays.  My in-laws NEVER went to a restaurant and were too frugal to splurge on something like lobster or steak.

My father loved Cheryl's cookies so I always sent him a big box for special days.

So many people think restaurant gift cards are the answer to what to give.  I cannot tell you how we've received to restaurants we do not like.  Some were passed on to others, but some were never used.

Respected Contributor

Yes -- my folks are in their mid-80s, buy anything they want for themselves, and don't need more "stuff." I frequently send food gifts to them -- coffee cakes, fruit, peanut brittle, etc. They are very appreciative, although I must admit that sometimes my mom saves what I've sent in order to serve it when I'm visiting!

Respected Contributor

If she likes coffee and complains about the cost of K cups, I think she would be thrilled to get K cups. As other posters have said, older folks really don't want more junk to sit around and usually have tons of bath and body products given by others. 

You know your mom. If it feels right to you, trust your instinct. Some people would be disappointed at any age receiving a practical gift. Others would rather get something practical instead of more clothes, jewelry, purses, etc.  I'm on my 50's. I'm already starting to feel like I would rather purchase my own clothes, jewelry, etc., and get what I want. I usually tell my kids to get me an iTunes or store gift card if they ask.  

Now my hubby??  I expect jewelry, or a new iPhone or iPad, lol. 

Frequent Contributor

I celebrated my 80th last weekend with family and friends. My daughter is a chef and traveled some distance to give me a lovely dinner and invited nieghbors and friends for dessert and drinksl. I should be 80 every year. I received plants, gift cert for manicure, jewelry, wine, etc. My children realize that I need nothing, just wanted family that day. It was a wonderful day . At this stage in our lives, family and friends are the most inportant. I was taken to lunch by a friend and have another friend treating me to lunch this week.

Honored Contributor

@JML wrote:

I celebrated my 80th last weekend with family and friends. My daughter is a chef and traveled some distance to give me a lovely dinner and invited nieghbors and friends for dessert and drinksl. I should be 80 every year. I received plants, gift cert for manicure, jewelry, wine, etc. My children realize that I need nothing, just wanted family that day. It was a wonderful day . At this stage in our lives, family and friends are the most inportant. I was taken to lunch by a friend and have another friend treating me to lunch this week.

@JML

Happy (belated) 80th Birthday!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, lulu2

Honored Contributor

Sure, I give food gifts for Birthdays and other occasions too.  Why not?  

Your idea deal is a great one.  K-Cups are a wonderful gift.  You could even add a nice coffee cake, and a couple of special mugs.