Respected Contributor

Re: Do you give food for birthday gifts?

My dear, sweet Grandmother was a bit difficult to shop for but she adored receiving special food gifts for special occasions.  Tea, small boxes of special cookies, candy, etc. were all hits with her.  HTH!

Honored Contributor

Chrystaltree wrote:

It sounds like your children are selfish and cheap.  And they don't give you gift's out of love, they give you gifts because they feel they have to.  They put no thought into the gifts at all.  Since you have told them many times what you prefer, there isn't much you can do.  They don't care.  I can tell you what I would do.  I'd accept the robe or the house coat or the back brace and when their birthdays and Christmass roll around, I'd re-gift it right back to them.  With big wide smile, I'd say "I know how much you liked this, so please enjoy it, I don't need things like this, I have so many". 

i wonder why the robes and the back braces would not be given to charities.....so that they go to people who really do need them. i would not just throw them away, let them sit in a closet, or throw them into the basement. these would be gifts of love for people in need.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

If the person is okay with receiving food and such for a birthday, then by all means do so. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I think food is fine if it's a special treat that she loves.  I got my mom THE best cheesecake as a gift once and she loved it.  You'd have to know my mom - she LOVES cheesecake.  So some gourmet food would always be appreciated by me.  Or if they both like steaks, or whatever.  I don't see a problem with it.