Honored Contributor

Re: Do you get your car detailed and how much is it?

@spud188 wrote:

Years ago I worked in a car detail shop,yes we used Q-tips too. We did cars for dealerships. It was a very hard job. Our Boss was meticulous.

I have never heard of anyone having their personal cars detailed. This really surprises me so many of you do.  

@spud188 

oh it is big business here.....especially after it snows!

even our local automated car washes have upgrades where you can get a more professional detail.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

love how a car looks and "feels" after a detail.....

no dirt at all

shampooed carpets

leather conditioned

dashboard glistening and conditioned

tires shiny

rims sparkling

windows and mirrors completely clear

trunk is so clean

engine looks great

there are a lot of things that go into a great detail and it can make your car look even more appealing if you ever want to sell it. we have a large number of shops that do this AND mobile businesses that will come to your home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

My goodness what has happened with our society that we can't wash our own cars?? Really?? I would NEVER give my hard earned money to have someone else do something I can do for free. We have never had anything "detailed". My dh is a car guy and has always done his own maintenance on our vehicles. We've taught our kids the same. How lazy have we become if we can't even wash something ourselves? Wow.

Well @ID2  -not everybody is just too lazy to do it. 

A few months ago, when we had some work done on my husband’s truck at the dealership I had them detail it because we were thinking about selling it. They did a great job. I think it was $160.

My husband isn’t well enough to do it in that much detail and I can wash and vacuum but didn’t want to spend hours working on a truck.  

My husband is 76 and I’m 63 and it’s the first time in our collective 139 years either of us ever had a car detailed.  It was well worth the $160. No hoopla. 

Not everyone is lazy. Some have physical limitations and some have enough disposable income that makes it ok to spend the money on detailing. 

I could probably start canning my own fruits and vegetables, making my own clothes, etc. also but I’m not going to. 

As for my car- I get it washed for free at the dealership and they also vacuum and lightly clean the inside. My car is always clean. Doesn’t need detailing,  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  It is a good idea to get the car detailed.  It is $129.99 where I live and they shampoo your rugs, clean seats and everything else inside and wax outside.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2.  My daughter is not lazy, she has always done it herself, but right now has a back issue and leg issue.  I am having it done for the 1st time ever because until I get my knee replaced in a couple of months I can't do it. Geez!!  

I could cut my own hair for free too but I chose to have it done right.   

Respected Contributor

Well, it's a deal because how badly can you dirty a car in a single month?  He probably doesn't have to do that much, so $60 sounds very fair.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

My goodness what has happened with our society that we can't wash our own cars?? Really?? I would NEVER give my hard earned money to have someone else do something I can do for free. We have never had anything "detailed". My dh is a car guy and has always done his own maintenance on our vehicles. We've taught our kids the same. How lazy have we become if we can't even wash something ourselves? Wow.

Detailing is sooo much more than simply washing.......

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

@Maxine49 wrote:

Well, it's a deal because how badly can you dirty a car in a single month?  He probably doesn't have to do that much, so $60 sounds very fair.

I spend a lot of time in the car.......kids and adults eat, drink, fool around , people have wet feet, muddy, sandy, etc ......I don't make a thing of it at the time. A car is an investment and when you spend over $100,000 it is worth maintaining it.......just my humble opinion...

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

May be that certain of us just don't want to spend our energy and time "washing" a car.....maybe there are other things we are better at. I have gotten to a place where, if I don't want to do something, I hire it out to people who are pros.......

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Well @ID2  -not everybody is just too lazy to do it. 

A few months ago, when we had some work done on my husband’s truck at the dealership I had them detail it because we were thinking about selling it. They did a great job. I think it was $160.

My husband isn’t well enough to do it in that much detail and I can wash and vacuum but didn’t want to spend hours working on a truck.  

My husband is 76 and I’m 63 and it’s the first time in our collective 139 years either of us ever had a car detailed.  It was well worth the $160. No hoopla. 

Not everyone is lazy. Some have physical limitations and some have enough disposable income that makes it ok to spend the money on detailing. 

I could probably start canning my own fruits and vegetables, making my own clothes, etc. also but I’m not going to. 

As for my car- I get it washed for free at the dealership and they also vacuum and lightly clean the inside. My car is always clean. Doesn’t need detailing,  

I hear you! I've tried to vacuum my car on occasion--because our local car wash does a pretty crappy job at vacuuming--and found it was very difficult for me to crawl all around the inside of the car with a vaccum and I ended up doing a pretty sub-par job. That is a really tough job. Plus my vacuum and carpet cleaner are simply not made for car interiors. 

I washed and detailed the outside of my car once because I was thinking of selling it and the job took me all day. Plus I spent about $40 on cleaning/waxing/polishing supplies. And I never even got around to cleaning the inside. Too tired! Again it's a tough, physical job.