Esteemed Contributor

Do you get your car detailed and how much is it?

DD took her car to a woman nearby and had it detailed.  She cleaned inside and washed and waxed it for $125.00.  It looks great.  It's a 2015 Honda that gets a tremendous amount of use. I am taking my car to her after the 4th of July holiday. I used to be able to do mine inside, can't do it now.

Someone said she cleans the pickup trucks used by the gas companies around here and they look new when she's done.

Do you do your own or get them done? How much do they charge in your neck of the woods?  I'm in rural NE PA.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you get your car detailed and how much is it?

I have my car detailed once a month......I live right on the border of NY and NJ in Bergen county. They pick up the car and the cost is $300 delivered.

I also have a sports car which goes in a couple times a year and the price for that is $200....

having a well maintained car is important to me...

Honored Contributor

$125 sounds fair.  I bought a Groupon for $90 and had it done.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

My late husband used to loan money to car dealerships.  They gave him a dealer's license.

He would go to the car auctions in Pennsylvanis.  This is where mostly brand new cars were auctioned off to dealers.

They go through and people bid on them.  Before he went he'd ask me what kind of car I'd like to drive for one, two or three months.  It never mattered to me as long as it wasn't bright red.  

I can drive stick shift cars too.  So, I wasn't limited.  Anyway, in a few days the car would be delivered (most had zero 0 miles on them).  

I'd drive it for a few months (one or two) and then he'd go again and it would be repeated.

His partner in this business would get the car detailed and we'd sell it.  We weren't interested in making money from it, it was just something fun to do.  He'd go with his partner who had a dealership of selling mostly used cars.

I don't really know how much he paid to get it detailed.  I had to be careful and not make a lot of mess in the car.  I do rememer him telling me a good detailer would even use a Q-tip and clean out every nook and crany so it looked perfect!  

It was easy to do in these cars because they'd barely been used.

I would have thought it would have been more involved with the one's his partner bought to be sold since they were older and had been used.

I haven't had my cars detailed since he died.  I was going to get it done last winter, but like everything with me, I put it off and never did get it done.

I will probably get it done this year even though my car stays in the garage.  I'm a slob and there are crumbs in it.  The seats are leather so they aren't dirty (it's a 2016 Acura MDX).

I've been thinking of giving it to my granddaughter and getting a new one.

I will tell you, you got a really good deal though.  Because I'm sure (based on what my husband used to say) it would normally be a lot more money.

Thanks for posting.  I love it when I hear people have gotten a good deal for something.  This day and age it's nice to know not everyone gets "taken".Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD took her car to a woman nearby and had it detailed.  She cleaned inside and washed and waxed it for $125.00.  It looks great.  It's a 2015 Honda that gets a tremendous amount of use. I am taking my car to her after the 4th of July holiday. I used to be able to do mine inside, can't do it now.

Someone said she cleans the pickup trucks used by the gas companies around here and they look new when she's done.

Do you do your own or get them done? How much do they charge in your neck of the woods?  I'm in rural NE PA.

Also live in NE PA.  I had my car detailed last year and they did a nice job.  It was also $125.00.  I think that is the going rate around here.  It’s about time for me to have it done again since I am considering trading it in.....    I guess I could do it myself, but I have no desire to do so now that I am retired.....

Honored Contributor

I pay $100 here in southern WV.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hubby takes both cars to car wash that does detailing, I know it costs over $100 for my car and more than that for his SUV  but I don't know the exact figure because he pays.  I do love the result!  

Honored Contributor

I am in south central PA and $125 sounds like a good deal.  My friends pay at least $150.

I clean the inside of my car about 4 times a year really well and even scrub the carpet. I  and vacuum and wipe things down as needed. ( leather seats)  I hate a dirty car with trash left inside.

My DH washes my car and waxes it.  He also clays it by hand, which really makes it look nice.  As soon as he has time, he will repair a spot on the back bumper where someone with a hitch backed into me....hit and run.  I have a small dent with some paint removed, not too noticeable, but I see it and know it is there.

Respected Contributor

@Mombo1 

I doubt that detailing will raise the offer they will give you on your trade-in:  save the money.  They are looking at tires, transmission, etc.   Also, they will consider the type care you want to trade for.

Good Luck !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I had the 'Ultimate Detail Service' done at Water Works and paid $250 for it. Had to make an appointment and they kept my car for 4 hours. This service includes interior and exterior detailing. The next level below that one is $179 and that just for interior detailing with carpet cleaning. Without the carpet cleaned it's $149.