Honored Contributor

Re: Do you follow any celebrities?

If someone mentions a name I'm familiar, it's either about their passing, or an illness.  That's the group I identify with.

Honored Contributor

Why?  

I occasionally will click on one about someone who died hoping there's a picture of them since the name sounds familiar. 

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

I follow politicians closely.

Some of them could be viewed as "celebrities."

Me, too, @Mersha.

I occasionally look up a celeb, usually one from my younger years, out of curiosity.

I used to look at the movie star magazine.  A friend of my mother would give me her old ones.  

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I used to follow Adam Lambert after AI because I wanted to see how far his career, would go. I have seen him in concert several times, and I think besides his solo career he is pretty well solidified as the lead singer of Queen. I guess I don't have to follow him any longer because he pops up in various places on television and the concert stage that is well advertised. Other than that, I do not follow celebs. Interestingly, the guy who won AI that year has done very little. He's still in music, but usually works as a second act with a bigger name. Who is surprised at that?

@RainCityWoman   I love Adam's story and repeated it to several grandchildren.

He was devastated he lost AI but look at the door that opened for him.  If he had won AI, he would not have been able to join Queen. 

Now he is singing with one of the greatest bands of all time and doing an outstanding job.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

When news tidbits and photos of celebs pop up in your Google feed home page, do you click on them? Personally I couldn't care less about the Hollywood crowd. Or the so called "influencers"or socialites or hip hop moguls. So I scroll past. 

I do enjoy reading about a few of the British Royal family. My secret life as a  nosy peasant. Haha. 

And there are a handful of pro athletes that I'm interested in. Draymond Green, Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins. Mainly because of their Michigan connections. 

@fairydogmother 

Huh?   I don't even have a "google feed home page".  Or, if I do, I don't realize it.

I am always amused when people think the "Hollywood crowd" are all basically the same, think the same, do the same things ... it's ridiculous.   The types of people who work in the various entertainment industries are just as different as large numbers of people working in any other industry.  Different opinions, different lives and different life goals.  

A few years back, before covid, I was in a waiting room and picked up a recent copy of People magazine.   As I flipped through the pages I kept wondering "who ARE these people?"   

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

When news tidbits and photos of celebs pop up in your Google feed home page, do you click on them? Personally I couldn't care less about the Hollywood crowd. Or the so called "influencers"or socialites or hip hop moguls. So I scroll past. 

I do enjoy reading about a few of the British Royal family. My secret life as a  nosy peasant. Haha. 

And there are a handful of pro athletes that I'm interested in. Draymond Green, Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins. Mainly because of their Michigan connections. 

@fairydogmother 

Huh?   I don't even have a "google feed home page".  Or, if I do, I don't realize it.

I am always amused when people think the "Hollywood crowd" are all basically the same, think the same, do the same things ... it's ridiculous.   The types of people who work in the various entertainment industries are just as different as large numbers of people working in any other industry.  Different opinions, different lives and different life goals.  

A few years back, before covid, I was in a waiting room and picked up a recent copy of People magazine.   As I flipped through the pages I kept wondering "who ARE these people?"   

So you're "amused" by my reference to the Hollywood crowd. Maybe I should have just said I'm not interested in celebrities. And where did I say that I "think they're small basically the same?" You are the one making assumptions. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Totally different definitions of “follow“ are being used here.

When I say follow, I mean I follow them on social media, mainly IG. I enjoy the personal pages of a number of people: actors, musicians, authors, chefs, political figures.
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

Whoops, sorry, I should clarify.  My comment was meant to be more general, not aimed at you specifically.  Sorry.

To clarify, I just SMH when comments are made which seem like all the thousands who work in any of the entertainment industries are all the same ... meaning shallow and bad people.

My ex was in production and the industry was the family business for over 2 decades.  I've met a lot of people in different jobs, both in front of and behind the camera.  Broad cross section of people.

Back in the earlier days of movies and movie stars, the people were glamorous, elegant and well dressed.  Movie magazines sold plenty of copies, and "celebrity following"  took on a life of itself.  And, of course, people enjoy the escape of the big screen in a darkened theater.   The celebrity machine was born, and there was no stopping it.

Again .. sorry.  

Trusted Contributor

Currently obsessed with Larry the (Downing Street) Cat.  Major fanbabe of him.

Respected Contributor

No   But if there is something about Jeff Bridges I will read or listen.