Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever worry about going to the movies?

Just saw on INside Edition where a medical student got killed in the library for reading a book. Stabbed by a mental patient. Your not safe any where today , folks.

Esteemed Contributor

The last movie I can remember going to see was "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise, that was 2005......and the only reason we went was because my hubs is such a fan of the original.

Of course, the original was far superior to the later version. I especially like the technicolor in the original....

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

The costumes  look like they are stunningly beautiful. What I have seen of the trailers looks  gorgeous @JaneMarple

The costumes are beautiful and so is the scenery in the fictional African country of Wakanda. No sex but fight scenes and a few scenes of blood. Honestly if it wasn't such a deep thought provoking movie that could be above some kid's heads, then it is not bad for kids to see at all. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I'm going to go. You all have bucked me up.  I  think I might see it this weekend.

I don't know why things seem such a big hurdle lately? I find  myself so panicky ,when my husband gets to near the stairwell. I just have flash backs ,of finding him at the bottom of the stairwell unconscious, and I know I have to get over this

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  Yes, I definitely worry about movie theatres. We rarely go to shows and I recently told my dh that I'd seriously consider never going into a movie theatre again. I even worry about it when I'm at my beauty salon. Egads.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I really never did until lately. We always go to an early movie that is about 2/3 empty

I am thinking about the new Panther movie, and just read some  person went to the flicks, looking to settle a score ,and shot the hitting the ceiling, trying to hit the intended victims

Even if you didn't get a direct hit, couldn't a bullet ricochet ,and still hit you?

It was a women!  Sheesh...they got her, thank goodness

@cherry

I decided to skip the movies for a while because I figured it (crowds) would be a good way to get the flu & the friend I usually go with catches things easily. Admittedly, there are other crowded events I have not avoided & I am still perfectly healthy. 

But, no, I have never stayed home for fear of being shot. That kind of thinking can lead to living under a rock because there is no place that is safe from people who will do things like that.

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I'm going to go. You all have bucked me up.  I  think I might see it this weekend.

I don't know why things seem such a big hurdle lately? I find  myself so panicky ,when my husband gets to near the stairwell. I just have flash backs ,of finding him at the bottom of the stairwell unconscious, and I know I have to get over this

@cherry- three years ago this month, my husband got up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom. I woke up when he stood up from the bed. He walked in, passed out and hit the floor, smashing his head into the tile. I was in there in a nano second. When I flipped on the light and saw him, out like a light and saw the blood, I thought he was dead. Truly.  Thought he was gone. Called 911, he came to on his own. Off to the ER by ambulance at 1:30 in the morning. 

Don't be hard on yourself. Witnessing things like you did is traumatic and stays with you. 

Three years later, every single time my husband gets up in the night to go to the restroom, I wake up and listen. I imagine I will forever. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  Heart  thank you ,I sometimes feel like I might be on the edge of cracking up

Honored Contributor

@cherry  No.  You would have to be afraid of going to concerts, church, movies just about everything because we definitely live in different times.  I am thankful for growing up when I did because there were no cell phones, no computers, life move much more slowly and you knew your neighbors.  You ice skated at the park in the winter with your friends, played softball in the summer with your girlfriends through the park district.  Yes, kids actually played outside instead of sitting in front of a computer screen.  People in general were a lot nicer back then.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@gidgetgh  Heart  thank you ,I sometimes feel like I might be on the edge of cracking up

@cherry- well, if you’re on the edge of cracking up, move over and make room on the cracking up couch for me. 

I tend to sometimes make things a little more.....a little more...important or overblown than they should be. I overthink and make some things bigger than they really are. I think it’s anxiety. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?