Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever wonder what happened to people after you gave them directions?

Unless I'm 100% certain I tell them I'm not from around here because I'd hate to get someone even more lost!

Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@CoffeeNut wrote:

After having a smartphone for several years, I finally figured out how to use google maps the other day.  Neighbor's 11 year old son taught me how to use it.  

LOL. Thank goodness for kids.  They teach us old folks so much!  My 9 year old grandson has helped me on many occasions with regards to my smartphone.  

You got that right!  I'm always misplacing the stylus for my tablet until----my 6 year old great grandson told me that I can hook it to the cover and proceeded to show me how.  Oh boy, how dumb I am!!!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

No, living here my entire life, I can give very clear directions to anything local.  

I do however wonder about the people who have asked for directions from my husband.  Even tho he has lived here his entire life, and spent the last 10 years of his work career as a service technician, he absolutely cannot give clear directions!  

Yo remind me of mine.    He will take the simplest thing and complicate it six ways to Sunday.   It can be, go down this road, turn left on road B, then right on road C, then you'll see it on your left a block down.

His will have about 19 directions that, by the time you hear it all you have no idea where you would be.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm so bad at doing that, I almost never gave directions out.

I'd need a map of any sort to get me places. Hahahahahahhaa.

@qualitygal 

You have read some of my posts. Do I strike you as a person that speaks in generalities? 

Members here are not the only ones that tell me I am overly descriptive/too many details and so on. My wife tells me the same with very few words: "really john"? 

Do I wonder? If people stick around long enough to listen to me, who knows? Not me. Never give it a thought.

What can I say that I have said many times over, I don't know when to shut up!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This thread reminded me of all the times I had to refer to the Thomas Guide or print out pages from Mapquest to figure out how to get somewhere.   Wow. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Never heard of the Thomas Guide or Mapquest. When I raced my Drag Strip cars all around the Midwest, we just used the paper maps you could get at filling stations along the way. 

Only time we had a big(?)issue, was trying to get to Wichita Kansas, going through Topeka Kansas. The highway signs were arse backwards, and we kept seeing the same buildings, but on our left side 1 time, follow the signs again! Same buildings on our right side. This is at night which didn't help.

Every racer from our area ran into the same problem as we did, except those that paid to use the Turnpike. I was too frugal to pay for any toll road. Back then they were 2 lane State Highways, no Interstates.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Some days there's many who are very wordy.  Some days, I need wordy.  But now a days, I do good to remember 2 out of 3 things and if you give me more than 3 ways in directions, I'll never hear those words. LOL  @hckynutjohn 

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   and........I tried to find a paper map the other day.  Did they quit selling those?  Mapquest has become more complicated to me and I wanted to go back to paper. I'm a paper person, I guess. LOL

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@hckynutjohn   and........I tried to find a paper map the other day.  Did they quit selling those?  Mapquest has become more complicated to me and I wanted to go back to paper. I'm a paper person, I guess. LOL

@qualitygal  I think AAA probably has them. That's where I got mine and always keep them.I also keep a large magazine type book of the east coast in my car for when we travel. Found it in a bookstore.

Honored Contributor

No