Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever read reviews

I like the three star reviews where a person didn’t love or hate the item.I find those to be the most helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

While I do read reviews I read them with a critical eye.

I usually start with the lowest ratings and try to determine if there is consistency in the reason (and if it is significant to me) for the low rating or if it is based on personal preference over function or "operator error".

I also take the overall breakdown of ratings into consideration--is there a disproportionate number of 1, 2 and 3 star ratings in comparison to 4 and 5 star ratings.

Finally, I factor in the volume sold.  We know for the most part there are thousands of an item sold but only a small number of reviews.  If the product is considered exceptionally good or bad the number of reviews reflect that.  If there are relatively few reviews I take it that the product is "okay" to pretty good.

If it is a product that is also available from other sites I also look at those reviews before deciding if the reviews should influence my decision.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I review only what I buy or own.  I read reviews and hope those who make statements have first hand knowledge.  Not only do  I look on QVC I also look online to see if the product  was reviewed somewhere else.  

I am aware on some sites people are paid to make statements, positive  ones of course.  So I am very careful when I buy.  I check into everything but I rarely have to return anythihg.  

Honored Contributor

Boggles the mind as to why these reviews even get posted. I think it proves that those behind the scenes don't really read them and/or for us to check the yes/no box if we bought the item is totally ridiculous to even ask - yet I think we HAVE to.

Honored Contributor

I agree that one can have an opinion of something @Yahooey but why bother posting such as 'I don't like the print therefore I did not buy it because I would not wear it'. Something like this is a waste of time to the poster and to me as it doesn't help me at all in a review.

Honored Contributor

I did read an article that many retailers post their own positive reviews of items to boost sales. That says a lot to me. Not sure if that’s done here, but would explain the huge difference between 2⭐️s and 5⭐️s on the same item.

Respected Contributor

I do read reviews but find if you go to say your favorite brand e.g. mine being Logo/Linea the Ladies there write great reviews on products purchased, answer questions and are very helpful.

Respected Contributor

Yes, and saved hundreds of $$$.

I just wish clothing reviews would demand:  size purchased, color, some body measurements, did you buy regular size, how did it fit.   Not ... "love this, will buy another."

Respected Contributor

@MKR14  

@MKR14 wrote:

I was reading the Vitamix TSV reviews and they are all good. What I did notice was where they asked if you purchased or you owned this it said No? Maybe they never read to say Yes.

They look like honest reviews.

yes, i was just noticing this in the reviews of the earth shoes. several posters stated how they hurt their feet, or were off to the post office etc. but where it said if they had purchased the item, it said no. so maybe some, either forget to answer the last 2 questions about purchasing the item, or just don't read that far ahead. leave review, hit post. done. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I do....

Recently, I was interested in a Dennis Basso coat that was on clearance. Alot of reviews said the buttons fall off....I thought no biggie...I sew and I'll fix that issue.

When I got the coat....the buttons were sewn on well....I don't get it...Maybe they needed to buy a BIGGER size because they were putting too much strain on them.

@Nataliesgramma

i guess everyones expectations are different.

if i receive a coat where the buttons are "falling off" or not sewn well i would probably return it and try another one. a good quality coat would not have buttons on it that were not sewn in well. if the second one came and i absolutely wanted to keep the coat, i would call customer service to get a partial refund.

i absolutely HATE sewing.....i can do a button, but i should not have to, especially on a new item.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein