Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever ""guess"" anyone's REAL age when asked?

On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

The point is, good breeding states you don't answer direct questions like those.Ever.

I believe good breeding (whatever that is) would be to never ask in the first place.

Valued Contributor

no -- I don't guess ages.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Honored Contributor

If someone asks, I would say...."I'm 54 (true) and I think I look pretty look, so I think you're 54."

Honored Contributor

I'm 54, the only people who ever play "guess my age" with me are 6 year olds. And I know how old they are....lol

Respected Contributor

I refuse to guess. I say that I'm bad at guessing and I wouldn't want to insult you ha
Esteemed Contributor

I was a young 26 years old when at a friends house with a gathering of about 15 women. One of the women present started moaning and groaning about the fact that she looked too old to be the mother of her two kids aged 4 and 7. Clearly this was a subject that was best left out of a public forum. However, she whipped around and happened to face me and yelled "How old do you think I am?" (I really felt I had to answer. Today, I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.) "Ummmmm, Doris you look about 45 (and she did). She screeched, "See what I mean, I'm only 33!!!"

She went on to say that all the women on her mother's side age prematurely. I felt very badly for her, then left the room and beat myself up figuratively speaking. At the end of the meeting, I apologized (by telling her that I should have said nothing), then was approached by another woman who said that Doris runs "hot."

I've since stayed away from such queries and would advise all to do the same.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

The point is, good breeding states you don't answer direct questions like those.Ever.

I have excellent "breeding" but, as stated in my narrative, was caught in a highly fired situation as a young adult.

Your statement does, however, remind one of 19th century Victorian social dictums. I'm not convinced that I would always remain mum, even though my breeding is above reproach.

Honored Contributor

Someone asked me a lot of years ago, how old I thought her mom looked. To err on the side of caution, I guessed she was 10 years younger than I thought and she was still younger than what I guessed! {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Honored Contributor

I'm really not good at judging age so it wouldn't mean anything to anyone if I told them.

Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Someone asked me a lot of years ago, how old I thought her mom looked. To err on the side of caution, I guessed she was 10 years younger than I thought and she was still younger than what I guessed! {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Well that is understandable because you look so young yourself that it would be hard for you to judge. Like me. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}