Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy exercising?

I have had gym memberships off and on over the years.  I have a Pilates machine in the loft.

At the gym I did 45 to 60 minutes on the Stairmaster (this was well before wonky hip and knee issues) and then did 1/2 hr. of weights.  I didn't love or hate it.  I guess I didn't mind it. My issue was driving 14 miles home, make dinner and then drive to the gym in the opposite direction of work. 24 miles round trip. I went 3 times a week and did Pilates the other days.

I am going to have to start exercising after knee surgery.  I don't want to but have no choice.

If I'm going to sweat my butt off I want to get the body I had in my 30's and that is never going to happen.

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Nope. Smiley Happy

Me either!  I wish I was one of those who loved it but unfortunately I'm not...always finding an excuse to skip it.

Honored Contributor

I never felt good after exercising.   I guess I didn't build up endorphins.   My friend did great!

Respected Contributor

Absolutely YES! 4-5 days a week, 90 minutes for each session. I added deliberate strength work to my training program about a year ago and I couldn’t be happier with the way I feel and look. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@roxxy1 wrote:

I swim laps 5-6 times per week.  No machines required, and feel so much better when I'm done.  Usually 45 minutes of swimming.  Love it !!!

I am a lap swimmer, too.  I love it!  I am at our local rec center first thing every weekday morning to swim a mile.  It's the best way to start the day.  

I also walk my dog everyday.  We don't go a long distance, but I enjoy that, too.  I walk her everyday unless the windchill is below zero.  In the evening, I ride our stationary bike for about 30-45 minutes while watching tv.  I don't ride fast, but it's good for my legs. 

I like to eat, so all this activity helps me maintain my weight.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love exercising but I prefer to mix it up always. I walk, slow jog (not really running), do yoga, Pilates chair training, and do strength training (reasonably). And it has served me well, very healthy, stable weight.

The Peloton bike doesn’t appeal to me. It’s expensive, the same move, over and over, so that’s boring to me, and does nothing for strength or flexibility, and bikes to me, are a pain in the but region... 😂😂😂

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler 

I have my own spin bike and use it daily...and that Peleton commercial annoys me to no end. 

Do I enjoy it?  Some mornings more than others.  But it's something I know I have to do. 

The reason I got my own bike is I was paying $35 a month to use their spin bikes, which I could have done.  However, because of the early morning hours, I had the same instructor over and over.

Not good.

I do it, I mostly enjoy it, but I'm happy when it's over! Cat LOL

As a former runner, I loved the extended time of a long run, but, knees won't tolerate it anymore.  I used to do 4-6 miles daily and 10 on the weekends.  You cannot give that up and not notice changes in your body.  And, not good ones!

Spin classes are exhilirating, and, I would love to participate, but, I'm disciplined enough to do it at home.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a runner, and I love it. In fact, I enjoy any outdoors activity. I'd rather run 10 miles at freezing temperatures outdoors than 3 miles indoors on the treadmill.  I have to force myself to do strength training each week because it's inside.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like exercising per se, but I love the benefits. I have a 15 minute morning high energy dance/stretch routine that I adhere to as soon as my feet hit the floor. I try to walk 30 minutes to an hour and a half, 3-4 times per week, depending on the weather and whether or not I am trail walking. I would love to bike ride as I used to, but my arthritic right knee just won't let me. This amount of exercise helps keep my blood pressure down, keeps my weight in check, and helps with arthritic pain. It also helps with my depression. Since going through menopause, weight management is a killer! It is funny how some of the things we hate most, become more important to us as we age.

~~~All we need is  LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

I love walking my dog, I get out every day as long as the weather compromises, usually well into winter..then it's snow boots and some hiking up the trails.  I do feel I need to expand and start weight lifting..I do try to get on my Total gym, but I'm not terribly consistent 😂

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it