Honored Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy being teased?

On 7/9/2014 occasional rain said:
On 7/9/2014 tansy said: Depends on what your definition of teasing is.

I'm not meaning the little inside jokes close friends and spouses share.

What I mean is knowing that a person is sensitive about something and commenting on it usually in front of others and going on and on about it to embarrass the person. Bringing up something embarrassing they did as a child in front of their boyfriend/girlfriend. That sort of thing.

I consider that mean and bully-ish. I think people who do stuff like that are generally people who don't like themselves very much and they do mean things like that to make them feel better about themselves. In their minds anyway, pushing others down lifts themselves up.

Super Contributor

I've always been teased -- I think people keep doing it because I take it well and laugh at myself. I make fun of myself too! Smiley Happy Now, if I'm in a bad mood or I'm hurt by something, if the person keeps doing it, then it's mean.

Valued Contributor

no. it's passive aggressive behavior, in my opinion.

what about being tickled till you cried? anyone else had that done to them as a child?

just thinking about it brings back the most awful memories. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

On 7/9/2014 evelomaddict said:

no. it's passive aggressive behavior, in my opinion.

what about being tickled till you cried? anyone else had that done to them as a child?

just thinking about it brings back the most awful memories. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

My dad used to do that and then get angry if I complained or began to cry. I was then called a whiney brat or a crybaby. Good timesSmiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

If its done in fun and not disrespectful who cares? We joke around in our family and have fun all the time. Nothing said is mean or abusive.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I can't say I enjoy it but I it doesn't bother me the majority of the time. Of course it also depends on the nature of the tease.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Some teasing is friendly, like when someone likes and enjoys you.

Respected Contributor

We love teasing at our house. There are some subjects that are off limits for joking.

It's only abusive if the person doesn't like it. Everyone is different.

Super Contributor

Like many situations in life, "it all depends"!!

Not all teasing is abusive or bullying. Most times it is apparent to the person being teased if it is done in genuine affection and good humor and not meant to hurt, or if it is not and when the line has been crossed. They then decide whether they will challenge it, or stay quiet and accept it. Many times it is a way for the teaser to test their future dominance over the person they are teasing, which then can escalate to more obvious power plays or displays of dominance.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor

I hate it. When I think back to certain instances I wish I had really lashed out instead of just taking it and acting like it didn't matter. People who do this need to know they're not being funny at all.