Honored Contributor

I find teasing to be thinly disguised abuse. It's all in fun for the teaser but not so much fun for the victim. My parents would not allow teasing, hitting, or name calling. My mother said it was poor manners and low class.

Even parents tease their children and think it's amusing but would they like to be teased? Maybe. That's why I'm asking.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy being teased?

If it is done in fun....and not prolonged.....it is OK. Otherwise it can become abusive.
Honored Contributor

No, I really don't. I can see some good-hearted teasing that's not mean - maybe in private from the husband or something like that. But as a general rule it is meant to kind of embarrass a person.

My mother seemed to get her jollies from, among other mean things, humiliating me in front of others. Consequently, I don't do well with somebody doing something to embarrass or humiliate me. Seems mean.

Honored Contributor

Teasing is not akin to abuse imo.

Honored Contributor

Depends on what your definition of teasing is.
Honored Contributor

Within my family...not a problem. We have a long history together, and our teasing brings back some fun memories, and is well-intentioned.

I have 6 siblings, and we get a lot of laughs over some of the issues we had with each other in the past. All is forgiven now, and we're quite close. But did we tease each other as kids? Oh yeah....

And we still do it now. I don't mind it at all, when they ask me if I vacuum my driveway. I'm kind of a neat freak, and yes I do! They think I'm nuts. I'm okay with that.

Honored Contributor

On 7/9/2014 tansy said: Depends on what your definition of teasing is.

I'm not meaning the little inside jokes close friends and spouses share.

What I mean is knowing that a person is sensitive about something and commenting on it usually in front of others and going on and on about it to embarrass the person. Bringing up something embarrassing they did as a child in front of their boyfriend/girlfriend. That sort of thing.

Super Contributor

I've heard many times throughout my life "we wouldn't tease you so much IF we didn't love/like you" whether it be co-workers or family or whatever. My family teased a lot growing up with 4 kids.

For the most part . . . its fine . . . but sometimes it gets to be a bit much.

My kids, now that they are 17 & 20 . . . like to tease me . . . and being KIDS . . . young adults . . . sometimes I feel their teasing is a bit much. And yes, I do call them out on it when I've had my "fill" of it.

Honored Contributor

On 7/9/2014 september said:

Within my family...not a problem. We have a long history together, and our teasing brings back some fun memories, and is well-intentioned.

I have 6 siblings, and we get a lot of laughs over some of the issues we had with each other in the past. All is forgiven now, and we're quite close. But did we tease each other as kids? Oh yeah....

And we still do it now. I don't mind it at all, when they ask me if I vacuum my driveway. I'm kind of a neat freak, and yes I do! They think I'm nuts. I'm okay with that.

But are you sensitive about being a neat freak? Is the teasing humiliating. Suppose your husband had a girlfriend would being teased about that be fun?

Honored Contributor

Suppose someone is teased for a prolonged period of time. Does that lead to bullying?

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~