Respected Contributor

Re: Do you drink CHEAP beer?

What is the "shot and beer crowd?" Just curious.

Anyway, lately when we go out for pizza or burgers we have been having IPA beers (India Pale Ale) comes from various brewers. A lot of craft brewers seem to do the IPA's. People who like a very mild beer like a Miller Lite probably wouldn't care for them. Some of them have a grapefruit like aftertaste which is good if not overdone.

Respected Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Marp2 said:
On 5/18/2014 Free2be said:
On 5/18/2014 Marp2 said:

Free,

What brand is the extra dry ale? Is it very "hoppy" and does it have lots of effervescence/bubbles?

I really don't know if it was hoppy, it was something, I'll tell ya. Not any more effervescent than is usual for a beer, that I noticed. I just went out to the garage to see what brand it was and it's gone. Guess Mr. Free took it to our recycling center when he went there yesterday. It was bottled by a small Oregon brewery.

Thanks Free. I tried to find extra dry ale by Oregon Microbreweries but it looks like Oregon has as many microbreweries as NC. I like hoppy ales; it is the hops/malt ratio that gives it bitterness.

Marp, try an IPA. I'll bet you would like it.

Super Contributor

On 5/18/2014 scotttie said:

A shot and a beer AKA a boilermaker. When the coal miners and the steelworkers got off work they headed to their favorite bar and ordered a shot of whiskey and a beer. So when I said "crowd" I'm talking about an older group of people, mostly men, who wouldn't necessarily enjoy a crafted beer flavored with oranges or pumpkin.

From the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers' website:

<h1>Why is whiskey with a beer chaser called a Boilermaker?</h1>

Nobody knows. At least, nobody we can find.

Many workers relax after work with a shot of whiskey followed by a beer chaser, often called a beer and a shot or one-and-one. This drink only becomes a boilermaker if the drinker drops the shot of whiskey into the mug of beer and downs the entire drink with one long draw, not lifting his (or her) lips from the mug until it's all gone.

Boilermakers are usually reserved for celebrations. If you're tempted to try one to celebrate your Labor Day, we warn you: identify your designated driver now.

How this drink came to be named after the workers who build and repair boilers is unknown. The Oxford English Dictionary, widely regarded as the foremost authority on word origins, says the term "boilermaker" was first used to refer to the craftsmen who built and maintained steam locomotives in 1834.

By that time, steam engines had been around for several decades, steam ships were regularly plying the oceans, railroad companies had begun redrawing the face of the North American continent, and, according to some etymologists (word historians), the term "boilermaker" was already being used to describe the drink.

Could the drink have carried the name before the craftsperson did? That seems unlikely, but the development of a language is not always logical.

Perhaps the origin of the drink's name comes in some way from Richard Trevithick, an inventive Cornish blacksmith who was an early experimenter with steam-propelled vehicles. In 1801, on Christmas night in the Cornwall village of Cambourne, he set out to test his latest invention, a steam-propelled road vehicle.

Trevithick's vehicle succeeded in climbing the hill into the village carrying the inventor and some of his friends. When they reached a pub at the top of the hill, they parked the vehicle in a shed and went inside to celebrate their success in holiday season style.

As the celebration continued, everyone forgot about the fire in the vehicle's boiler. It continued to burn until the water ran dry. When the party was over, they discovered that the wooden structural members had caught fire and the vehicle was reduced to a mass of tangled scrap.

See what I mean about that designated driver?

Whatever the origins of its name, a Boilermaker is a strong drink that gets a party off to a good start, but can get the best of you before you know it if you're not careful.

Come to think of it, that's like a lot of the Boilermakers I know. Maybe that's the connection between the names.

Super Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

Years ago I bought some beer called Genesee and it was from NY State. I really liked it and haven't found it since.

Has anyone here heard of it?

Yes! We even have an old Genesee bar sign in the garage.

Super Contributor

Dos Equis (amber) is my favorite beer and is more expensive than most, certainly never thought of it as a cheap beer.

The Most Interesting Man in the World -- best commercials ever. I noticed he's actually become a bit of a celebrity; I saw him on the cover of a magazine recently.

Honored Contributor

My father told me not to drink any cheap alcohol, it can make you sick. I found out he was right, LOL. Apparently it's about filtering, I dunno for sure.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

My favorite beer is an ice cold Corona with lime squeezed in. Sam Adams is very popular in places at my local midAtlantic beach community.
Respected Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Georgie the 5th said:
On 5/18/2014 scotttie said:

A shot and a beer AKA a boilermaker. When the coal miners and the steelworkers got off work they headed to their favorite bar and ordered a shot of whiskey and a beer. So when I said "crowd" I'm talking about an older group of people, mostly men, who wouldn't necessarily enjoy a crafted beer flavored with oranges or pumpkin.

From the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers' website:

<h1>Why is whiskey with a beer chaser called a Boilermaker?</h1>

Nobody knows. At least, nobody we can find.

Many workers relax after work with a shot of whiskey followed by a beer chaser, often called a beer and a shot or one-and-one. This drink only becomes a boilermaker if the drinker drops the shot of whiskey into the mug of beer and downs the entire drink with one long draw, not lifting his (or her) lips from the mug until it's all gone.

Boilermakers are usually reserved for celebrations. If you're tempted to try one to celebrate your Labor Day, we warn you: identify your designated driver now.

How this drink came to be named after the workers who build and repair boilers is unknown. The Oxford English Dictionary, widely regarded as the foremost authority on word origins, says the term "boilermaker" was first used to refer to the craftsmen who built and maintained steam locomotives in 1834.

By that time, steam engines had been around for several decades, steam ships were regularly plying the oceans, railroad companies had begun redrawing the face of the North American continent, and, according to some etymologists (word historians), the term "boilermaker" was already being used to describe the drink.

Could the drink have carried the name before the craftsperson did? That seems unlikely, but the development of a language is not always logical.

Perhaps the origin of the drink's name comes in some way from Richard Trevithick, an inventive Cornish blacksmith who was an early experimenter with steam-propelled vehicles. In 1801, on Christmas night in the Cornwall village of Cambourne, he set out to test his latest invention, a steam-propelled road vehicle.

Trevithick's vehicle succeeded in climbing the hill into the village carrying the inventor and some of his friends. When they reached a pub at the top of the hill, they parked the vehicle in a shed and went inside to celebrate their success in holiday season style.

As the celebration continued, everyone forgot about the fire in the vehicle's boiler. It continued to burn until the water ran dry. When the party was over, they discovered that the wooden structural members had caught fire and the vehicle was reduced to a mass of tangled scrap.

See what I mean about that designated driver?

Whatever the origins of its name, a Boilermaker is a strong drink that gets a party off to a good start, but can get the best of you before you know it if you're not careful.

Come to think of it, that's like a lot of the Boilermakers I know. Maybe that's the connection between the names.

Thank you. I have heard of boilermakers. Don't they sometimes drop the shot into the beer filled mug?

Super Contributor

On 5/18/2014 ennui1 said:

Dos Equis (amber) is my favorite beer and is more expensive than most, certainly never thought of it as a cheap beer.

The Most Interesting Man in the World -- best commercials ever. I noticed he's actually become a bit of a celebrity; I saw him on the cover of a magazine recently.

Respected Contributor

Thanks ennui and lolakimono!

I bought it in Az but have never seen it again.

I will keep looking!

Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero