Honored Contributor

Do you donate toys to Toys for Tots.....

or a similar local agency (here it is called Toy Time)?

I do not, for two reasons.

First, I worked in an agency and that took the applications for the local program, (as well as a food bank) and many of the people coming to apply for toys didn't need the items, and would joke about how they were ripping the system off. Many of the donated items were being stolen, and in general the integrity of the program was always compromised.

Second, the agency locally that does this is in a building that floods every couple of years, and they loose everything donated. It has happened repeatedly, and after the last time, they thought ahead far enough to put the toys on higher ground. I can't see the terrible waste that occurs over and over, and them not moving to a better location.

I do participate in a toy distribution with our local church that is much better managed, much better controlled so that distribution is fair and goes to those really in need. A long story about how it works, but it is wonderful, and lets families retain their dignity, as it isn't just a handout.

Who here donates to toy based charities this time of year, and are the programs responsible and effective?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you donate toys to Toys for Tots.....

Yes, we donate to Christmas giving type programs. I do sometimes wonder about how the toys get distributed and if they are really appreciated. Can't imagine a child wanting to get Candy Land three years in a row.

Esteemed Contributor

I worked for the state and we gave toys to the children who were on Food Stamps, we had a lot of toys donated and several employees donated toys as well. One of the Advisors would dress as Santa and another as his helper. A lot of us would bring our own children to see Santa, but we brought a gift for our child and it was given to the helper before hand so we didn't take anything from the needy children. How sad that people could take if they don't need it. And then to laugh about it.

Honored Contributor

I have in the past through the Marines and also participating in poker runs.

Starting 2015, my donations are going to children's medical needs, power company assistance, food banks and veterans.

Toys are not that important to a hungry, cold, sick child.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Lucky charm said:

I have in the past through the Marines and also participating in poker runs.

Starting 2015, my donations are going to children's medical needs, power company assistance, food banks and veterans.

Toys are not that important to a hungry, cold, sick child.

Not necessarily, as their lives are all about basic needs. And receiving a "want" makes them feel extra special.

Respected Contributor

I worked at a company that had a 'giving wall' as not to offened any one by having a xmas tree. The whole idea is a Christmas Toy. Some are offended by a tree but had no problem taking a toy. Thats when I chose not to donate a toy but keep giving to the Food Pantrys.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I donate to Toys for Tots and Empty Stocking Fund every year. It's makes MY Christmas every year to shop for the toys.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

No we do not. We donate toys to CHOP (Children's hospital of Philadelphia) each year @ Christmas time through my husband job. We also give to the Salvation Army and the local food banks year round, as well as other charities (for people and animals).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

We donate to Toys for Tots each year through the local Marine Corp League, as my husband volunteered with them before his health conditions worsened. We also support Salvation Army, Union Mission, the annual Christmas party organized through our local paper, various drives through my daughter's school, and to Volunteer services at our local VA.

Respected Contributor

I did for many years but now I donate gifts to our church's senior citizen ministry.