Respected Contributor

Re: Do you do anything special to accommodate your fur baby?

What the heck...it's a new year and I'm old enough to laugh at myself. We acquired an early generation bengal cat that tend to bond very closely to their humans. Rocko was a terror at meal time, even though he was fed his dinner (homemade raw diet: that was more an accommodation for us than him Wink) 3 feet away. He would cry, whine and jump on our shoulders. One night, I finally gave up and set him a place at the table.

Got to admit he did exhibit good table manners. Thankfully, we later adopted his great-grandma (retired breeder) and he was amazed at how she ate off the floor!

Rocko

Rocko & Millie

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2015 emmysmom said:
On 1/1/2015 kittymomNC said:

Thank you! Your Emmy sure sounds like she is very well loved!

There is a guy who sells hot dogs (the best ever!) in front of our local Lowe's Home Improvement store and I go there just to get a hot dog, not necessarily to shop. We've talked from time to time about various things, and <em>he says if there really is reincarnation, he wants to come back as one of my cats!</em> {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I don't blame him! People that don't realize the LOVE these animals give, are really missing out. My dad told me when I was a little girl, our pets were spoiled, because thats what you do! I try and make sure mine have been too! I see you and others here do the same!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Spoiled rotten" as the old saying goes! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Some here know that my Baby Cat is almost 17 and has had kidney disease for 3 years and 9 months, is on blood pressure meds, and has been to the vet about 440 times since she was diagnosed (fluid treatments, etc.) Like the mail carriers, whether it rains, snows, sleets, hails, there is a hurricane, or I'm sick myself, Baby Cat goes to the vet and gets everything she needs, when she needs it.{#emotions_dlg.wub} I wouldn't need GPS on my car to get there, it could probably navigate by itself! If it should happen to snow a lot (not likely, but I wish), I would hire a snow plow to take us if I had to! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

I have to try extra hard to make sure my Missie doesn't feel neglected... In order to make sure Baby Cat eats enough, she gets small amounts a number of times a day, sometimes at regular mealtimes, and after she gets her meds, and if she just looks up at the row of cat food bags on top of the fridge and meows at me! (I think my pantry shelf has almost every kind of wet cat food known to man!) Needless to say, every time Baby Cat eats, Missie knows it and I have to give her a few morsels so she will know she's special too! Now she's too fat, not really fat yet, but getting there, and I'm trying to cut down, but don't know how. {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Valued Contributor

We are lucky that our guy is fairly low-key and doesn't require extra special accommodations. Alhtough if he did, we would certainly oblige. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Besides two extra-soft dog beds, one downstairs and one up, a few beloved toys, and an old quilt for him at night if he needs so snuggle in the big bed with us, he is pretty low-maintenance.

Oh, he hates the vacuum, but we gotta clean, so he barks and barks and I just try to make it fast. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2015 kittymomNC said:
On 1/1/2015 kittymomNC said:

Thank you! Your Emmy sure sounds like she is very well loved!

There is a guy who sells hot dogs (the best ever!) in front of our local Lowe's Home Improvement store and I go there just to get a hot dog, not necessarily to shop. We've talked from time to time about various things, and <em>he says if there really is reincarnation, he wants to come back as one of my cats!</em> {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I don't blame him! People that don't realize the LOVE these animals give, are really missing out. My dad told me when I was a little girl, our pets were spoiled, because thats what you do! I try and make sure mine have been too! I see you and others here do the same!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Spoiled rotten" as the old saying goes! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Some here know that my Baby Cat is almost 17 and has had kidney disease for 3 years and 9 months, is on blood pressure meds, and has been to the vet about 440 times since she was diagnosed (fluid treatments, etc.) Like the mail carriers, whether it rains, snows, sleets, hails, there is a hurricane, or I'm sick myself, Baby Cat goes to the vet and gets everything she needs, when she needs it.{#emotions_dlg.wub} I wouldn't need GPS on my car to get there, it could probably navigate by itself! If it should happen to snow a lot (not likely, but I wish), I would hire a snow plow to take us if I had to! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

I have to try extra hard to make sure my Missie doesn't feel neglected... In order to make sure Baby Cat eats enough, she gets small amounts a number of times a day, sometimes at regular mealtimes, and after she gets her meds, and if she just looks up at the row of cat food bags on top of the fridge and meows at me! (I think my pantry shelf has almost every kind of wet cat food known to man!) Needless to say, every time Baby Cat eats, Missie knows it and I have to give her a few morsels so she will know she's special too! Now she's too fat, not really fat yet, but getting there, and I'm trying to cut down, but don't know how. {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Your post brought me to tears! I do caregiving and my client called me today..she's had her family members visiting from out of town, since the 23rd. That was the last day I spent with her~ She has a gorgeous kitty I've gotten VERY attached too..I bring her food, and got her some catnip toys for Christmas. She repays me by nuzzling my face, rubbing my legs..purring, the whole bit! She told me she's missed me and her kitty REALLY misses me too. That made my day! I can't wait to see them both when her DH goes back to work and her life is back to normal. I have a great job, I get to take care of a wonderful woman and spend the day with her kitty, and go home to Emmy! Aren't we lucky to have these precious animals?? I used to care for another couple and their kitty had diabetes. I would call their kitty and he would give her the insulin! He was so gentle, he was a retired doctor! She knew she was getting a shot and would purr, she knew she would be feeling better! He also left the faucet drip as she preferred drinking out of the faucet! I should write a book about the animals I've met as a caregiver! They also have a gorgeous Golden lab. I would take her for long walks when my client was sleeping..needless to say we got very attached! She would be waiting for me in the morning by the bay window, I could see the drapes moving when she saw me! I'm so glad my dad adored animals and taught me to respect and love them. I have 3 boys and they all own cats and dogs..and love them too!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2015 denisemb said:

What the heck...it's a new year and I'm old enough to laugh at myself. We acquired an early generation bengal cat that tend to bond very closely to their humans. Rocko was a terror at meal time, even though he was fed his dinner (homemade raw diet: that was more an accommodation for us than him Wink) 3 feet away. He would cry, whine and jump on our shoulders. One night, I finally gave up and set him a place at the table.

Got to admit he did exhibit good table manners. Thankfully, we later adopted his great-grandma (retired breeder) and he was amazed at how she ate off the floor!

Rocko

Rocko & Millie

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

I dehydrate organic human grade chicken and beef tenders for my Maltese. None of that stuff from China. He acts as if it was crack! He loves it! He is none too pleased to see my husband and nephew eat ""his"" jerky. Theirs is seasoned but his is not.
Regular Contributor

On 1/2/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 1/1/2015 QsZoo said:
On 1/1/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 12/31/2014 QsZoo said:

I have a Golden losing sight so I have installed battery operated motion sensor lights on her main pathways inside and out. They turn on before she gets to them and she can find her way as she needs to. It especially has helped her navigate during evening hoursSmiley Happy

Awe, poor girl. You're a good mommy to her!

Is impaired vision common with Goldens as they age? A girlfriend of mine had a GR who lost her sight too. She was old and my friend tried to accommodate her as long as possible, but a couple of years ago she knew it was time to put her out of her misery. Since yours is the second time I'm hearing of this happening, I'm wondering if that's what we can eventually expect with our boy.

Missy Duo was 11 in September. At first they thought she had SARD because it came on suddenly and she seemed so lost. Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration can be very sudden and not reversible. It took about a week, and I thought she was just coping well with the supports I put in place, but she sees pretty well in the daytime and only has a little trouble when it is darker. We don't know what caused it. Her brother is 10 1/2 and seems to be okay so far. Fingers crossed and big hugs to your sweet guySmiley Happy

Thanks QsZoo. How blessed you are to have two of these precious pups in your home. Our boy is going on 3 yrs. old (February) and 85 lbs. He's really tall and a big boy. He's a great dog and I'm blessed to have him, but I don't know how I'd manage two of him.

Smiling hereSmiley Happy My Missy Duo was such a handful as a pup I got her a brother and 95% of problems were solved. They played, hard, and wore each other outSmiley Happy Mine are big too. They stand tall and not overweight. Missy is 92 lbs and Mister 94. They just went to the vet yesterday for shots and wellness checks. Both doing great. The vet agreed that Missy can indeed seeSmiley Happy He wasn't sure what caused the issue this summer and called her a Miracle. SARD is not reversible as the retina degenerates.
I choose to believe it is the power of prayer from all of the wonderful people on P.C.C. that sent up prayers. Please give that sweet boy of yours hugs from me.

Happy New Year.

Regular Contributor

On 1/1/2015 QsZoo said:
On 1/1/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 12/31/2014 QsZoo said:

I have a Golden losing sight so I have installed battery operated motion sensor lights on her main pathways inside and out. They turn on before she gets to them and she can find her way as she needs to. It especially has helped her navigate during evening hoursSmiley Happy

Awe, poor girl. You're a good mommy to her!

Is impaired vision common with Goldens as they age? A girlfriend of mine had a GR who lost her sight too. She was old and my friend tried to accommodate her as long as possible, but a couple of years ago she knew it was time to put her out of her misery. Since yours is the second time I'm hearing of this happening, I'm wondering if that's what we can eventually expect with our boy.

Missy Duo was 11 in September. At first they thought she had SARD because it came on suddenly and she seemed so lost. Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration can be very sudden and not reversible. It took about a week, and I thought she was just coping well with the supports I put in place, but she sees pretty well in the daytime and only has a little trouble when it is darker. We don't know what caused it. Her brother is 10 1/2 and seems to be okay so far. Fingers crossed and big hugs to your sweet guySmiley Happy

Thank God!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Smile, I truly did thank God. They both had shots and wellness checks and vet confirmed that Missy Duo truly can see. It was confirmed when they forgot to close the inner door that led to the surgical/work area and she and her brother went through and exploredSmiley Happy No bumping into things...It made me laugh. My vet has known these two since before they were born. He was their prenatal vet for litter one and litter two. They are the best presents I ever gotSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I LOVE THIS THREAD! Thanks everyone for sharing the huge love you have for your little critters. Warms my heart.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Now this may seem silly, but, I interpret by her eyes what she wants my husband to understand. It seems to work. He thinks I'm kidding.