Respected Contributor

Do you do anything special to accommodate your fur baby?

My precious fur baby is quite sensitive to sounds that come from the blow dryer, epilator and the Emjoi micro-pedi. She just comes unglued and barks and barks.

Well, I seldom use the blow dryer since I have a pixie cut that never sees a brush or comb as I simply use my fingers to help it do it's thing. I've used it to speed the drying process on stains I've tried to remove from clothing before walking out the door.

The epilator and micro-pedi are used quite often. So, it occurred to me to run the shower, close the bathroom door while using them. And, it works! I get the job done and she remains cool and calm.

Do you do anything special to keep your baby from stressing out?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you do anything special to accommodate your fur baby?

Nothing specific for the most part... I have two precious kitties, and they get just absolutely anything and everything they want, when they want it, and how they want it! They are in charge of me! {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I do have one that is afraid of storms... if I can catch her before she hides under the bed, I wrap her tight in a blanket and hold her next to me. I may try a Thundershirt for cats when it starts getting warm again. If she goes under the bed and won't come out, I turn the radio up loud to mask the thunder and turn on the lights (if it's night time) so she won't notice the lightening. It seems to help. I just hate seeing her afraid...{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Regular Contributor

I have a Golden losing sight so I have installed battery operated motion sensor lights on her main pathways inside and out. They turn on before she gets to them and she can find her way as she needs to. It especially has helped her navigate during evening hoursSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Everything I do revolves around my kitty Cookies happiness.lol I leave lights on when we go out for her,wait to vacuum until she goes out on the patio. Whatever my baby wants she gets.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/31/2014 kittymomNC said:

Nothing specific for the most part... I have two precious kitties, and they get just absolutely anything and everything they want, when they want it, and how they want it! They are in charge of me! {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I do have one that is afraid of storms... if I can catch her before she hides under the bed, I wrap her tight in a blanket and hold her next to me. I may try a Thundershirt for cats when it starts getting warm again. If she goes under the bed and won't come out, I turn the radio up loud to mask the thunder and turn on the lights (if it's night time) so she won't notice the lightening. It seems to help. I just hate seeing her afraid...{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Will you be my mommy?? What a lovely and precious mommy you are. I just cover my precious Emmy with hugs and kisses..she brings me so much joy..and love!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/31/2014 QsZoo said:

I have a Golden losing sight so I have installed battery operated motion sensor lights on her main pathways inside and out. They turn on before she gets to them and she can find her way as she needs to. It especially has helped her navigate during evening hoursSmiley Happy

How precious!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

As I write this, my little kitty Bogey (age 7 months) is sitting on my shoulder, waiting for me to go to the Pictures Of Just Cats thread to see his friends! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Not only does Bogey get what he wants with just a simple meow, but now every morning when we cuddle, he gets a thorough "kitty massage" and purrs like he is in heaven .... purrrrr. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/31/2014 emmysmom said:
On 12/31/2014 kittymomNC said:

Will you be my mommy?? What a lovely and precious mommy you are. I just cover my precious Emmy with hugs and kisses..she brings me so much joy..and love!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Thank you! Your Emmy sure sounds like she is very well loved!

There is a guy who sells hot dogs (the best ever!) in front of our local Lowe's Home Improvement store and I go there just to get a hot dog, not necessarily to shop. We've talked from time to time about various things, and he says if there really is reincarnation, he wants to come back as one of my cats! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

The other day (the 30th) was the second anniversary of the day we adopted our boy and I'm nuts about him. I'm sure most of my family thinks I'm overboard about my dog (2.5 y.o. Golden Retreiver). Life hasn't gone completely on hold because of him, but if I know I have to board him when DH and I want to go somewhere, I'll often turn down some other opportunity if I feel it's too close to when I've already boarded him, unless it's just one night. I realize that it's part of life that I have to do it from time to time but I also don't think it's fair to him for us to be gallivanting all over the place while he's kenneled most of the time we're away. It's not fair to the dog, to subject him to that.

I've recently started using a new kennel. They have a very liberal drop off and pick up service. The place I used to go to didn't have any Saturday afternoon pickups and was totally closed to the public on Sundays. That meant, if I wanted to board him on a Friday night, I had to pick him up before 11AM on Saturday morning. If I wanted to board him on a Saturday, he had to get there in the morning and Sunday was automatically required as another night's stay and I couldn't get him until Monday. The new place is very nice, a more convenient location relative to where I live, and the nightly rate is less.

Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 QsZoo said:

Awe, poor girl. You're a good mommy to her!

Is impaired vision common with Goldens as they age? A girlfriend of mine had a GR who lost her sight too. She was old and my friend tried to accommodate her as long as possible, but a couple of years ago she knew it was time to put her out of her misery. Since yours is the second time I'm hearing of this happening, I'm wondering if that's what we can eventually expect with our boy.