Honored Contributor

Re: Do you dial the phone for your spouse...

Guilty.  I have memorized key phone numbers so he just hands me the phone and says "Get Dave for me."  I then hand him the phone.

Honored Contributor

Older people could have some Glaucoma, or cataract?  Some even go blind.  Could be any one of those, or a dozen of another.  

Honored Contributor

One other thing..........in taking care of my 90 year old dad, some things ($$) as long as he was still living, he had to talk to the person on the other end.  Dad couldn't dial, see well, or hardly hear.  I did this as a help.  Of course.  Possibly some of the calls the OP receives isn't a "wife" calling but a family member trying to help out.  Some people still want to do some things, even if it's on a limited basis. Just an FYI

Super Contributor

When I was working, I would sometimes get a call and a woman would say "Please hold for Mr. XX"  I would hang up imediately.  It was usually a woman making the call, the assumption being that Mr. XX was so much more important than I was that he didn't have time to wait for me, but I would have all the time in the world to wait for him.

WRONG.  About the 3rd time they tried this, he usually caught on and made the call himself.  I had to train too many people that this was unacceptable.

Priorities are weird.  

Respected Contributor

I know they do that in some offices, but I didn't realize that a wife would do that for her husband.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zitawins wrote:

@Laura14   How quick you are to judge others! Read the responses and you'll see. I gladly did it for my husband when he was alive. He hated all the hoops one had to jump through and he didn't hear well to boot. It was not a problem and was certainly not one of "deference" nor was it demeaning.

Geesh! Let's all fix ourselves first, and then worry about other women.

She did read the responses.  And she has posted quite eloquently several times since then.

Why not give her a chance instead of jumping to conclusions, not to mention jumping all over her?

Respected Contributor

Considering all the things he's done for me over the years, there's nothing I wouldn't  do for him.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~