Respected Contributor

Re: Do you dial the phone for your spouse...

I wouldn't assume it's some horrible relationship where the woman is being mistreated.  

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't assume someone is being mistreated unless they were verbally or physically forced into dialing for their husband.

It might just save a headache or two down the road...

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with this scenario.

The husband may be unable to "dial" for whatever reason-- fat fingers, poor eyesight.

Just because you want to do something for someone you love doesn't mean you are subservient to that person, particularly if there is give and take and not one-sided

@Laura14

@NorthernLights wrote:

Couples often work together through each others strengths and weaknesses. I don't see a problem with this in the least. My father hates tech and my mother loves it. I can totally see them in this scenario, with my father not wanting to touch the new fangled fuss gadget and my mother helping him. I'll tell you it's not a problem for them at all, because I've never seen my mother out chopping wood for the wood stove either. I just look at it as partners sharing responsibilities. Works for them, so it works for me.

Honored Contributor

Dial for a man and he calls for a day, make him call himself and he is independent for life, LOL.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Never. He has his phone and I have mine.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I wouldn't assume it's some horrible relationship where the woman is being mistreated.  

@VanSleepy  I couldn't fathom a reason why a seemingly able bodied person who is right there would ask another able bodied person to just dial for them if they weren't power tripping.

My bad and I thank everyone for enlightening me.  I usually can find an excuse or reason but this one was escaping me.    

For those of you mentioning the prompts and wait times, we are not a big time call center.  You literally dial and get me or my voicemail if I am already talking to someone else.  Hardly anyone ever gets my voicemail unless it's an unusually busy day and if they do and leave a message, they get called back in 5 minutes.  

Also part of the reason why I didn't get the you dial and then pass it over to me when she says hello.  I get it now.  

Thanks all!   Appreciated as always.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I could see my MIL doing that for my FIL. He did not age well. I bet he would have had troubling "dialing" the correct phone number. Also, I could not see him having to find the correct account # and punching it in, if needed. Or punching the correct # for the reason for his call. 

He needed assistance in all aspects of his life. That is why he ended up in a nursing home with a feeding tube. He would only eat candy - if left on his own.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Dial for a man and he calls for a day, make him call himself and he is independent for life, LOL.

@QVCkitty1  ROFL!!  Smiley Very Happy  Get him trained up right!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1  ROFL!!  Smiley Very Happy  Get him trained up right!  Smiley Wink

@Laura14, yes, it's a variation of the teach a man to fish saying.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

DH doesn’t always have a lot of patience to dial a number & follow prompts.He often will make a mistake, push the wrong button & have to start again.So I help him to make his life easier. I don’t consider helping him demeaning at all. DH does a lot for me too. We help each other.We’re a team.I wouldn’t have it any other way!!