Respected Contributor

Re: Do you cover your windows with blankets?

We have new windows and don't need to cover them as no wind comes through at all. Our house is energy efficient now since we added and upgraded the insulation in our attic and in our walls. This is the first winter our house has been cozy and warm with lower heating bills. 

Respected Contributor

I've heard of using blankets over windows and between rooms in wintertime.  Would do that myself if I needed to.  One summer I covered our bedroom windows with black garbage bags to keep the room dark so I could get more sleep until the order for lined curtains came.

I love old homes.  I always think, if they could talk, what tales would they tell about families living there over the years?  My imagination going wild, I guess. 

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful memories!

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care wrote:

My grandmother, rest in peace, must've rubbed off me. I remember wondering why she would cover her windows with blankets, keep doors closed to the back of her house, and, some how, hang a large coverlet in the door / hall to the other rooms. The living room was the heated room, all the others were ice cold. I dreaded having to use the toilet. I knew it would be ice cold. I would sit on it, clothed, and rub around on it to warm it up a bit.

Now, as an adult, I find I do the same thing....in moderation. The windows are all covered with blankets, attached to the curtain rod, and thumb tacked to the frame on the sides. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes when you have single paned windows in an old house. I hang a flannel bed sheet over the front, and back doors to help with drafts. It can be cumbersome getting in and out, but it sure keeps the drafts at bay.

Thankfully, I'm a blanket person. If a blanket is on sale I generally have to buy it. I love lots of heavy blankets on my bed. So, I have plenty to put on windows.

Maybe you should also consider buying those toilet seat covers made of fuzzy cloth (or whatever) so you're not sitting on a cold seat.   I remember thinking it was silly until my mom bought them.  What a difference!