Honored Contributor

Re: Do you clean house on a schedule, or as you see it needs it?

I have a slightly different outlook. I have moderate OCD. So I do keep to a schedule. But for me, it helps me not to do too much at one time. I actually jot down what I want to accomplish the next day. When I have finished those tasks, I cross it off and do not allow myself to do more. I just started this regiment to help me with try to relax a little bit, and it seems to be working.

We had to let our beloved cleaning person go back in April, I believe, because of  Covid. I haven't decided whether we will have her return at some point. I do a decent job but not as thorough as she.

It's a funny think about OCD: I don't do tasks necessarily because they need to be down but rather because I am compelled to do them, and I'm quite rigid in what, when, and how I do them. I very rarely take on some of the very large tasks that I should. Another thing for my calendar. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

When I clean my house, it has to be done in one shot.

I'm not a *clean the bathrooms thoroughly one day, and vacuum and dust the living room another day*.

I just do it all at once. 

And I won't go back in a room that's been cleaned till every other room has been cleaned.  Sounds crazy, but it's just always how I've done it.

For the most part, I keep every room clean on a daily basis.  Kitchen, hourly.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I am a cleanliness FANATIC, so I must adhere to a schedule. My grandmother taught me the importance of doing so, when I would vacation during the summer every year. I can still hear her fussing at me, whenever I think about being "lazy" sometimes.😁

She led by a strict example; one I hated at the time, but came to very much appreciate as an adult.

I have small, daily tasks; sweeping, washing dishes, etc, performed as needed. The bigger tasks are reserved for Friday or Saturday; time permitting. I get anxious on the days when I cannot.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

My Mom was on such a tight cleaning schedule it was ridiculous.  Nevermind if it inconvenienced everyone else or made us late somewhere.  I think that is why I have no schedule at all.  I do it as I see the need and/or if I feel like it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

It's just DD and I, oh, and the 2 cats. I am retired and home all day while DD works. She leaves at 7:30 am and gets homeafter 6 at night.

Weekdays I load and unload the dishwasher, do the laundry, except for her bedding.  She does that on the weekends.  I dust but my back protests mopping/vacuuming the floor so DD does that on the weekend too. I do manage to sweep the kitchen floor daily. I give the bathroom a quick clean daily but DD does a deep clean on Saturdays.

Really heavy deep cleaning gets done but not on any schedule.

I would do more but my old body gives out. I tell myself no tombstone ever had, "you could eat off her floor", on it.

Respected Contributor

I have someone else clean my house on a schedule. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Just when I thought paying off the mortgage was an accomplishment, now I have to keep it clean?

And magazine-worthy clean!  With an organized gift closet filled over the year, ready for The Season and a decorated tree in most every room. Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Some things I do daily; others when I see it, most others when I feel like it.   

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I have someone else clean my house on a schedule. 

That is the best way, LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Relaxed schedule. I know what needs to be done daily, weekly, monthly, seasonally. I use washer/dryer every other day and fold/put away. Car gets washed weekly - pick the best day. Most flexible is grocery orders / quick pick ups. Based on 'as needed.' 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau