Respected Contributor

Re: Do you change banks when a new bank takes over?

There is nothing wrong with giving the new banks a try.  Give them a few months, and if he's unhappy, then change.  Keep your eye out for other banks to consider.  Credit unions are usually the best in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

No, I dont.  But I sure miss the original bank.  They were the last of the customer service first banks.  In the 1980's they started as a hometown bank, and grew to five star national rating, and 3 banks...lol!  Then around 2005, they sold.  The original President retired, instead of keeping his name when he sold, had new bank take over totally.  Probably didn't want to ruin his image.  Lol!  Since then we have had 3 other banks take over.  It was a smooth transition.  The last one we had to change acct numbers, which i didn't like.  A couple of the original tellers and a loan manager are still there, but it is not the same. Our original bank offered coffee, donuts and greeted you.  They knew us all by name. But banks were busier, because there was no auto deposit, and online banking. 20 years ago I remember the lady in charge of overdrafts calling me and saying, "were planning on making a deposit because the mortgage check came in"  Lol!  I had forgot to deposit husbands checks!!  I was down there in 5 mins, and all was taken care of.   We have thought of changing, but I think all banks are the same now...if they are a chain bank Jmho

Frequent Contributor

Banks are evil!!! Don't trust them!!!! Only use a credit union. Much safer!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

So far, no.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I wait to see if anything important to me changes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KringleB wrote:

Banks are evil!!! Don't trust them!!!! Only use a credit union. Much safer!!!!!!

@KringleB

Banks are supposedly evil ?    ?????

Um, okay ....   care to tell us why you think this?   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the time I've lived in Southern California, I have had accounts with these banks ....   which no longer exist:

Security Pacific Bank

Crocker Bank

First Interstate Bank

Coast Savings and Loan 

Washington Mutual

Actually, I think there's at least one more .....  hmm ....

Respected Contributor

It depends, but many times we have charges & they change the numbers to protect us. Big mess have to redo our auto numbers into the new number. things are always changing every few yrs. You either stay or move into something new. Insurance companies & mortgages even change .

Honored Contributor

Depends on which bank is taking over.

We will not ever do business with Bank of America again, so if they did take over one of our other banks we would withdraw it all.

Respected Contributor

It depends on who the acquiring bank is. I'm currently with a smallish, community bank group that I moved my business to when I got fed up with Bank of America. I love everything about my current bank, but it worries me that as they become more successful, a larger bank will swoop in and dangle so much $$$$ in front of their shareholders that they'll jump at it and sell. At that point, it's anyone's guess. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~