Honored Contributor

Re: Do you change banks when a new bank takes over?

No, I change  banks when I'm displeased. I add banks when there is something to be gained. I added Discover online because they offer better interest rates on cds. At one time I had four banks and a credit union. I left the credit union because the cds rates weren't that good and it seemed to benefit borrowers which I'm not.

Honored Contributor

we have lived in the mid atlantic for some 30 yrs. my banks have been bought out so many times I have lost count. I believe last count was 4 times.

it is just easier to keep with the same bank since dh still works. the cost time and hassle it involves to get set up with direct deposit with paychecks is terrible in my view. We have just kept with this one bank thru out the buyouts. Different names but they have kept our money safe.

we are connected to a credit union for 50 yrs (dh retirement pay is direct deposit there) but they do not have any branches in the state where I live the closest branch is well over 3 hours away.

Honored Contributor

Only when it was Wells Fargo.    

This was 2+ decades ago, when I was trying to go with local banks and they kept getting bought up by WF.  I did NOT want WF, so I would move.  Finally just ended up at another very large national bank.   WF isn't going to be buying them any time soon.  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is interesting.  I went to the drive-up teller Friday and a Happy Anniversary 33 years with us banner popped up!  It was a different bank, plus 4 to get where I am.  Luckily, none of my account numbers changed - ever.  In light of auto-payments and direct deposit checking that is very hard to manage.  

Husband has changed banks three times in the last 6 months.  We have separate accounts - with signatory rights given to each other.

Respected Contributor

Yes, when my bank changed ownership twice in less than three years.  Not that I had any mistrust, but I became weary of having to get new checks/bank and credit cards and other necessary actions.

I switched to our credit union at work.  I remained there for 30+years until retirement.  I then switched to a credit union which was closer to home.  I am a big supporter of credit unions.