Honored Contributor

Re: Do you carry anything on you for protection?

Thank you for all the great and informative responses!   It gave me great insight to different viewpoints on protecting ones self.

I think I am going to take a senior citizen class in physical defense and staying safe first....but I still want to carry something on my walks with my dog with me .... mostly as protection from loose dogs who attack.   I am very careful and keep an eye on my surroundings at all times. So I will decide on the best course of action. 

I   Never considered about being in the house with repair people alone....hmmm...now that hubby is retired  I can have someone else here in the house with me.  Solves that.

Thanks again for making this thread helpful and friendly 👍

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Whether out walking the dog... jogging, or walking alone or just alone.... I was considering either a taser or pepper spray.  Just wondering if you found something that works for you. 

@SeaMaiden

I carry both a taser in my purse and pepper spray on my key chain.

When I'm walking to my car, I always have my keys in my hand (with the pepper spray attached), that way if they snatch my purse (with the taser inside) I can still protect myself with the pepper spray.

I have a ladies version taser, small, pink and I could easily carry it in my hand when walking, but prefer not to.

Heaven help them if I make it to my car before they attack me, 'cause there's a .38 waiting for them there.

@KingstonsMom  I want to hire you as my bodyguard 🙂

Respected Contributor

A good read...

Honored Contributor

I used to possess a concealed carry weapons permit and I owned a handgun which I would carry  with me where permitted. Now I can't even hold a weapon, much less fire one because of a hand disability. I carry pepper spray now and sometimes a big stick.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

One cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

I eat Burger King before I go for walks.

@mistriTsquirrel

No pizza?

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been known to place a small knife (and my cell phone) in my apron pockets when unknown workmen are scheduled to arrive.  Once I know the guys and they are repeats, I carry only my cell phone.  So, I guess I have armed mysefl.

Listen, you never know what someone will do.  Several years after I became a widow, I needed some electrical work done and hired someone who had good credentials.   He did a superb job, but he did do something on a repeat visit that freaked me out.  

He arrived with a bouquet of flowers (and something else that, honestly, I cannot remember but he did on a recent visit) after scheduling an evening visit.  I am now distrustful of evening visits, to say the least.  Put a stop to that!  However, I made it clear that I respected his marriage, etc., and that I'm not a hanky-panky sort, and we have a professional relationship to this day, 13 years later. 

He was attractive in a way, but I don't do that.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

Maybe pass some gas really loud would deter them 🙃

Or eat Taco Bell and the smell would finish them off.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

No pizza?

Cat Happy

@QueenDanceALot  Only if it's Pizza Hut.  Not sure what they put in their sauce, but I can hear my stomach crying out for help after I eat that stuff.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do see a number of older people carry a big walking stick (one guy carries a golf club) while walking their dog around my 55-plus neighborhood.  There are some thoughtless idiots who let their dogs roam off-leash on the trailsSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel, you crack me up!  😂