Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you carry anything on you for protection?

Oh, I thought you meant something else.  If I had any in my purse, they'd probably be expired by now.  LoL

I've thought about it and realized that a Mag-Lite flashlight is probably a better weapon than pepper spray, so I keep that in my dominant hand if I'm out walking.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

I have a taser in my purse all the time. It's peace of mind for me to know that I have some "thing" in the event that a bad situation happens.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Years ago, I remember some guy on Oprah who talked about how often women carry something for protection and it gets used on them by the perp.

I don't carry anything with me when I leave the house. Maybe I would, though, if I felt in danger. It may be an individualized situation.

@Trinity11  Hi-I don't know about the Oprah show but it is true.  Most women are going to be less able to fend off an attacker as it is.

Pepper spray can have blowback.

Tasers are a one time shot; you miss, you lose.  Plus a perp in heavier clothing will not go down. 

The perp doesn't announce ahead of time he is about to attack; getting close up to his victim diminishes reaction time anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

There are numerous wildlife sightings -- bears, coyotes, mountain lions -- in my neighborhood and the adjoining trails where I walk my small dog.  I carry my dad's old military whistle and cellphone and do not walk on the trails at dusk.  I remember the Oprah show that @Trinity11 mentioned, too.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think things like that offer much protection.  I prefer to be smart and cautions and to use my common sense to avoid danger situations.   Like walking.  Some of the people in our complex walk very early in the morning, in a few weeks it will be dark at 6am.  They walk in groups; never alone.  There's a "fast walker" group and a "slow waker group".   The early evening dog walkers also walk in groups or pairs.  I don't assume that just because I live in a safe, suburban, upscale town that there's no crime;  when I come home late at night; I always call hubby or my neighbor so one of them can open the entrance door before I get out of my car.  When we go on vactions, we don't tell neighbors and casual aquaintences that we will be away.  The tv and lights are on a timer.  My son in law picks up our mail and moves my car down a space or two so that it doesn't sit in the exact same spot for 8 consecutive days....a sure sign that we are away.  Hubby leaves his car at our daughter's house.  I think there are 100 things we can all do to keep ourselves safe and I do 90 of them.   If I find myself in position where I am being attacked, I'd yell at the top of my lungs and kick and scream and fight like heck; which would give me fighting chance.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Years ago, I remember some guy on Oprah who talked about how often women carry something for protection and it gets used on them by the perp.

I don't carry anything with me when I leave the house. Maybe I would, though, if I felt in danger. It may be an individualized situation.

@Trinity11

Right.

Pepper spray can be taken from you, and used against you.

Also, you would have to make sure that you are not downwind from the spray, so that the spray doesn't come back on you.

To me, things like pepper spray and tazers give one a false sense of security.

Best thing anyone can do is to learn self-defense.

@Plaid Pants2  There are classes for senior citizens and people who are not physically strong enough to handle something like Krav Maga.

Also, being aware of your surroundings is key; where you walk, where there is light and other people, etc.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

There are numerous wildlife sightings -- bears, coyotes, mountain lions -- in my neighborhood and the adjoining trails where I walk my small dog.  I carry my dad's old military whistle and cellphone and do not walk on the trails at dusk.  I remember the Oprah show that @Trinity11 mentioned, too.

@tansy.....The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. It helped me to realize I do not have to open my front door just because there is someone ringing my doorbell. I stopped doing that....

Esteemed Contributor

The best thing you can do for yourself is to be very aware of your surroundings.  There are no safe places anymore.......I do carry pepper spray with me and I have some self defense skills.   Regardless though, as many have mentioned you really have to pay attention!   Surprise does affect reaction time and studies show people who are constantly scanning their surroundings are less likely to be attacked.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't.

I'm always aware of my surroundings though.   I walk 4-5 miles a day.  I'm always in places with a lot of people.  I don't walk through the park or on the bike trails alone.

I no longer have service people to the house when I'm alone either  The last time I had Dish Network to the house, the repair man just made me feel very nervous.  I was very uncomfortable. 

Honored Contributor

If someone is going to come up and grab you from behind, or drive up and jump out quickly, good luck with your pepper spray or taser.

I think you're better off taking a self-defense class that teaches you to react in a way that might actually save your life.