Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you care what’s in your food?

I worry as I had cancer. My Dr told me a lot of things. I do watch Flav City on youtube. I have learned a lot from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have mixed feelings about it.  I care to a certain degree but I think the medical world has us thinking about our health perhaps a little more than is good for us.  I try but I don't obsess about it is what, I guess, I'm trying to say.  I have had many relatives live into their 80's and 90's an pretty much ate all the food groups.  I have seen people die much younger who were more serious about their diets. I take kind of a "middle road" approach to it.... one might say. I try not to be "too addicted" to any one thing.  I am however addicted to coffee but they say now....that it has benefits. I tend to want to believe that!  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

If I haven't worried about it for the first 66 years of my life, I'm not about to get paranoid now!  

I have responded to many posts in my time here, stating my numerous food allergies and food intolerances.  The healthier the food, pretty much guaranteed my body won't tolerate it, but I think I could probably lick my driveway and be just fine.  

@RedTop 

Thank you for the laugh .....  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I have mixed feelings about it.  I care to a certain degree but I think the medical world has us thinking about our health perhaps a little more than is good for us.  I try but I don't obsess about it is what, I guess, I'm trying to say.  I have had many relatives live into their 80's and 90's an pretty much ate all the food groups.  I have seen people die much younger who were more serious about their diets. I take kind of a "middle road" approach to it.... one might say. I try not to be "too addicted" to any one thing.  I am however addicted to coffee but they say now....that it has benefits. I tend to want to believe that!  

@jubilant 

ITA with the middle road approach.  Sometimes we can each and every thing ...  and it ends up not mattering very much.

I knew someone years ago that was a real "health nut".  Ate ridiculously healthy.  Exercised daily.  Was obnoxious about his health regimens.   

And he died asleep in bed one morning when a small airplane crashed into his house.  He died instantly at the ripe old age of 47 years old.   I later wondered if his "spirit" ever thought he should have eaten more ice cream.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I care about what I ingest but am not obsessed with it nor am I fanatical about it. There are certain things I won't consume, products I won't use, and things I try to avoid but that's it. I'm not going to start scanning everything I come into contact with.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

We had a family friend when I was growing up who was the "healthiest" person we knew at the time. He was a heart surgeon, never had salt in the house, very little meat, he was a hardcore runner, downhill skier and wind surfer. Dropped dead while jogging on the beach at 53.

I have gone through phases, but in the end I do what I can. I think genetics plays a huge role and how you care for yourself (or don't) in general is in the mix too. Everything in moderation, but I do on occasion, have an ice cream binge,

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I think this app might be really helpful for anyone who has food or skin allergies and must avoid specific ingredients. 

Trusted Contributor

Every single bite!!

Esteemed Contributor

I carefully read labels.  I do the best I can.  And the more natural the happier I am. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

IF you do care-check out "Flav City" on YouTube-I've learned a LOT and lost some weight along the way without a lot of trying!  He also has a really easy to use app that you can check barcodes with-and I use it! It tells you if it is approved or not and why. Then, you can decide and yes, I feel so much better eating this way, so it's not really troublesomeSmiley Happy