Respected Contributor

Re: Do you buy extended warranty on appliances

@icezeus wrote:

I generally do not, even though I did purchase one when I purchased my Flat Screen TV. 

I have AHS home Insurance, so if any of my appliances or systems break down I just go online and schedule a repair. 

Yes, was money well spent on Best Buy flat screen tv that went out (image burn) We generally do not buy on applicances.

Respected Contributor

It's probably a good idea, seems they don't make them like they used too.

Trusted Contributor

Never.  Most of the time its just wasted money.  You are giving the salesman a bonus by purchasing the warranty but most of us will never use them.

Honored Contributor

I always turn them down on appliances.  Knock on wood we've not had any issues and now they are all older so it won't surprise me if things start going wrong. 

I just bought a new car and turned down the extended warranty.  In a few years I will look into a warranty from a third party.  The warranty through the dealership is very expensive and why should I pay for it right off the bat when I have a warranty on my car right now?  And why do I want to pay interest on a warranty?   

Honored Contributor

No.

My view is that if the company is pushing an extended warranty, it's an indication that the seller assumes that the item is unreliable and likely to fail after the initial warranty runs out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On small appliances like vacuums, blenders, phones, microwaves I do NOT buy warranties....BUT now with LARGE appliances having so many tech items incorporated a friend told me its a wise decision for things like refrigerators, washers, dryers, stoves etc etc...Normally the tech things are what goes wrong with them that require  repairs and you need an expert to fix otherwise the item is worthless....

Katrina Winslow 🕷 on Twitter: "Everytime I open the fridge my cat goes  looking for a snack https://t.co/LXddFSK8jK" / Twitter

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

We donow, as quality is so iffy.  Bought a new washer Whirlpool for $1000 2 years ago.  14 months in it broke, waited 2 weeks for repair, 1 week later it broke again.  Lowes gave me a new $1000 Magtag.

Honored Contributor

Not on small things, but we did on the HVAC, and Generator.

When something goes wrong, it’s certainly nice to have !

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

yes  we had a fridge from 2006   they could not fix the ice maker

we got a new fridge 3/29/2022  They gave us $981

Honored Contributor

An excellent book on Planned Obsolescence was written in the 60's by Vance Packard.  Ever wonder why certain items ****** out in 10 - 15 years??  I'll buy extended warranties on certain items, not all.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*