Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe in psychics/mediums/clairvoyants?

No I do not believe in all those so-called mediums, etc.  I do believe that we as individuals can be tuned into loved ones who have passed away.

The TV shows about mediums etc. are nothing more than entertainment and sadly enough they prey on the heartache of real people; even more those real people have not learned to grieve properly and move on in life.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

No. That subject is right up there with UFO's and Big Foot.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:
Yes, but I do not believe everyone who claims to have the gift is actually blessed to have it. I do believe Theresa Caputo has been blessed with the ability to communicate with loved ones who have crossed over, and uses that gift to help grieving people find peace.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing Theresa Caputo has been blessed with is the ability to con people out of their money, with her expertise in "cold readings."

Theresa Caputo's net worth as of 2013, according to Net Worth, Bio, Wiki is 2.5 million dollars.  In 2013, she earned $400,000 per season for Long Island Medium, with a current estimate of at least $500,000 per season.  She also purportedly charges $800 an hour for a private session and when she was on tour in 2014, ticket prices ranged from $52 to $115 per person.

I like what the poster Carmie [who appears to know what she is talking about] said in post #60:

"I also think most of the people who claim to talk to the dead for money are lying." 

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I wouldn't go to a psychic or medium; the Bible says to stay away from such things.

I understand your feelings.

I was raised Roman Catholic and as such we're instructed to never go to fortune tellers, readers, psychics or play the dreaded...QUIJA board! lol

Of course, some of that teaching was based on Biblical teachings. But much of it was cultural. Christianity, in particular, tried hard to strip itself of everything it considered to be "pagan". And going to soothsayers, etc was considered to be the actions of pagans.

And then there was the era when the focus was on staying away from and even vilfiying gypsy culture. Gypsies and their practices were to be avoided at all cost. And they were often proponents of fortune telling. In many circles, many readers one sees setting up shop even today often derive from that gypsy culture.

But the Bible is actually full of mystics and prophets. Even when a Catholic today might have a "Virgin Mary Sighting", its never considered to be a psychic thing - although it can be called a "vision". lol

Or nutso. But its known to happen. The difference today is that Christians don't live in the era of the prophets. So one is not suppose to listen to those hearing messages...although we heed some of the visions of the saints. So its all rather, well, mysterious and mystical how that all works.

But Catholics, for instance, are taught to stay away from all those things as they are practices which don't turn to God (for advice, help, etc). It is at odds with prayer, if you will. No matter how pious a fortune teller tries to make it seem.

And the quija board was taboo because it supposedly could open a portal to Satan. That as God wouldn't answer anyone on a quija board...who then was'a talking back or through what powers?? lol

The interesting thing about that is that for such a thing to become taboo, there has to be some acknowledgement of the concept that one could open a portal to evil powers.

That alone says that the church would acknowledge that access to such messages could in a sense be very possible.

So its all very complex.

I recall a rather famous psychic who worked Piazza Navona in Rome for years. He was this incredible looking character said to be the greatest seer on the European circuit. lol  He was a combination, if you saw him of Nostradamus, Rasputin and Father Guido Sarducci (from the early days of "Saturday Night Live"). lol

He was there for years. And friends and others would get in a line to be one of a handful of the crowd he would agree to read. I ADMIT my superstition moreso than any religious belief caused me to never get in line.

And funny thing is, those who had a reading by him were utterly freaked out. In fact, so freaked out that even years later they are still freaked out. lol Sometimes you don't really always want to know or be told what you only THINK you might want to know or be told. When its done well (maybe even the real deal) its not promised to always be the most pleasant of experiences to have one's future told to them.

(I posted this as general info from that slant only as it is meant to pertain to the subject of the thread and not as a religious comment at all. Its just to maybe give some context as to why some people feel as they do about psychics).

Honored Contributor

ChynnaBlue wrote:

No, I do not. Any one of them has the option to walk away with 1 million dollars if he or she can demonstrate such a gift while being observed and without the ability to set up another party "in" on the trick. No one has been able to do it and the challenge has been around since 1964. Seems like someone would be able to prove it if it were real.

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html

And if you think psychics like John Edwards are real, I highly recommend watching Leap of Faith, with Steve Martin. That movie demonstrates how people like faith healers and psychics do what they do and was based off of the method Peter Popoff used (and STILL uses) in his "faith healing." Peter Popoff was exposed as a fraud and STILL manages to soak up money from people desperate to believe.

ChynnaBlue wrote:

No, I do not. Any one of them has the option to walk away with 1 million dollars if he or she can demonstrate such a gift while being observed and without the ability to set up another party "in" on the trick. No one has been able to do it and the challenge has been around since 1964. Seems like someone would be able to prove it if it were real.

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html

And if you think psychics like John Edwards are real, I highly recommend watching Leap of Faith, with Steve Martin. That movie demonstrates how people like faith healers and psychics do what they do and was based off of the method Peter Popoff used (and STILL uses) in his "faith healing." Peter Popoff was exposed as a fraud and STILL manages to soak up money from people desperate to believe.

@ChynnaBlue,  I've seen many exposés, too.  (And great movie, "Leap of Faith.")  I'm wondering if most of those who believe in these "gifted people" are unaware of this million-dollar offer.  I've always said I would change my view and start to believe if these seers would start solving criminal cases, find missing loved ones, and pass James Randi's challenge with flying colors and collect one million dollars.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Yes I believe it is possible because of my own personal experiences.  I do not believe that everyone who claims to be psychic actually is, but I do believe that some people are, and I happen to know someone who is.  I believe that we are all spirit, and when our body dies, our soul (spirit) lives on.  Why shouldn't there be communication?  I also believe there is a lot that we as humans do not understand.  There is much more to "life" than what we experience here. Furthermore, a true psychic does not predict your future or tell you what you should or should not do.  A true psychic helps you to gain insight and look deeper into your own life.  You create your future by the actions you choose.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Maybe in my next life I'll be able to channel the inventor of the original pocketbook!!
Super Contributor

no.