Valued Contributor

Re: Do you believe in psychics/mediums/clairvoyants?

[ Edited ]

@SuiGeneris wrote:

@surfk wrote:

Did no one learn ANYTHING from "Horton Hears a Who"????

Just because we can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.

I think of the whole world of the Whos, of course (they're top most in my concern).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

SuiGeneris says:

Your thematic summary of "Horton Hears a Who" wasn't the reason Theodore Geisel wrote the book. 

From Wikipedia:

Geisel began work on Horton Hears a Who! in the fall of 1953. The book's main theme, "a person's a person no matter how small", was Geisel's reaction to his visit to Japan, where the importance of the individual was an exciting new concept. Geisel, who had harbored strong anti-Japan sentiments before and during World War II, changed his views dramatically after the war and used this book as an allegory for the American post-war occupation of the country. He dedicated the book to a Japanese friend.  Unlike some of his books, however, Horton contains a strong moral message, which Thomas Fensch identifies as "universal, multinational, multi-ethnic. In a word: Equality."

--------------------------------------------

@surfk wrote:

But we also never much understood the universe. 'Still don't completely. Maybe never will.

There are vast areas of everything yet to be discovered or understood. That's why its always best to remain open to all the possibities. It doesn't mean one should not be skeptical, careful and even a tad cynical. But an open, questioning mind is rather required if one wants to ever get any sense of much of anything.

SuiGeneris says:

I agree that we don't completely understand the universe, but we are on the way to understanding it. 

I'm currently very interested in dark matter and dark energy, since together they form 95% of the known universe.  According to NASA:

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the Universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the Universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the Universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the Universe.  Link: http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

==============================================

That is the inspiration or background which inspired the perspective then written by Geisel. But like many things, it operates on various more complex layers than just being an allegory for post-war Japan. The broader concept is that its easy to bomb (or disregard) those we don't think about or even much consider in our own daily lives. It suddenly becomes harder to be so cavalier (and for Horton, a sensitive soul to begin with, its impossible) when one's AWARENESS of "the other" or "another" person, society or reality comes into play.

So its inspired by the era following the atomic bombings in Japan. But its to remind us all of a broader lesson that people and things exist no matter how little (or not at all) you might regard of them or even know about their existence.

Again, its harder to do something when suddenly you become aware of the another's existence, reality, etc. And that alters one's own perspective on the whole universe  - causing it to broaden. And from there, hopefully, one is no longer as quick to act or to not consider possibilities unseen before taking an action.

If anyone thinks they know they "whole universe", congrats. And what happens when our entire universe is mapped but the countless other universes out there are still on the table (so to speak)? There is never a finite end to knowledge. Unless someone out there can either say they created it or will be the final arbiter of saying when we're done. lol

But I like the dialogue. Hey, its something real (or is it?) to talk about. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I had a feeling someone would post this question today Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

The knowledge and experience of so many posters just amazes me. And, I'll admit, I struggle to understand everything. I remember learning years ago one difference between traditional eastern and western thought (worldwide). Most of us tend to say "I have a soul," whereas those of eastern though say "I am a soul." Makes the world of difference, doesn't it? I do believe that many of the abilities described, if one truly has them, should never be used for material gain. My religion teaches it is forbidden to actively communicate with the dead; I believe this admonition. What has not been touched is Christian charismatic belief, based on love and special devotion to the Holy Spirit. I will remain silent about this, because I want peace in my life and have quite enough of certain people. No one here YET. Love to all.

Honored Contributor

My Magic 8 ball says, "My reply is no".

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:
I believe some people are more intuitive than others but that's about it

I agree, I also believe there is no one out there who is interested in being contacted.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Do I believe that it's true? Yes. But I stay away from it, for the most part in my opinion there are a lot of fakes out there. However I do believe that there are people with a gift. When I was a teenager I saw my one and only fortune teller who told me two things that came true.

That's the problem.....the fakes.  I still believe though.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't go to a psychic or medium; the Bible says to stay away from such things.

Honored Contributor

Yes, but I do not believe everyone who claims to have the gift is actually blessed to have it. I do believe Theresa Caputo has been blessed with the ability to communicate with loved ones who have crossed over, and uses that gift to help grieving people find peace.
Respected Contributor

I use to but then a few years back I read a book called "Confessions of Madam Psyche" by Dorothy Bryant and I learned all the tricks of the trade! Now I can be a "psychic" too!

Honored Contributor

I believe (after considerable research) that there are a very small percentage of people who have the ultra sensitivity in order to understand and interpret.  Everyone is born with the equivalent of a "tuning fork" sensor in the brain (I call it that for lack of a better word).  Whether we (as humans) are phasing it into our existance or it is being phased out of our existance (like a pre-historic tool that helped us survive a million years ago)...no one knows at this point. Some humans are far more developed than others...  it has been scientifically proven to at least exist. So the the "feelings" one gets of something bad about to happen should not be ignored.   It's usually that first "feeling" about a situation that is a true one. After that we tend to talk ourselves out of what we felt.

I basically think that the Psychics we see and hear about are mostly trying to make a living from what they perceive as their ability to see the future, et al.  However, I don't believe they have this ability.  There have only a handful of great Psychics in human history.  

I am very interested in this subject and have researched it from the time I was in college.  There have been some interesting events in my own life (and that of my first son) that really can't be explained, just researched as much as possible and then accepted, 

To my surprise my cousin (who lives in another country) and whom I've corresponded with on occasion but never met actually told me she was a Psychic~!!  I was floored and VERY interested.  I asked her some questions hoping to get a dialogue going regarding her experiences (she makes a living from doing this btw).... and I've never heard back from her.

Unfortunately..... I'm not impressed.  Woman Frustrated

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*