Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you believe in karma?

From deep within, I hear a voice that declares karma is indeed a fact of this life on earth. I have seen it in action. More often than not, the karmic wheel moves very slowly, maybe to give us a chance to rectify our wrongs before the full weight of the karmic debt falls upon us. What we send out returns. Both "good" and "bad."

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

This is an interesting question, and I think faith, religion, spirituality, etc. will naturally play a part in the way people answer.  I don't believe in karma as far as any higher power or hocus pocus is concerned.  But, scientifically speaking, I do believe in the law of averages.  And there are only so many times you can leave destruction in your wake and not have it come back to bite you in the azz.  I think we all know someone like the miscreant you describe in your OP, and, sadly, retribution doesn't always come to those who deserve it.  Of course, he's not out of the woods yet though!  Did you ever see Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors?"  It touches on this very topic (and is one of my all-time favorite films).

Trusted Contributor

ABSOLUTELY... Karma is the universal law of cause and effect.  Every single event in the universe effects other events.

I really try to concentrate and focus on positive motives. The problem I have is balancing my heart and soul. Trying not to dwell on negativity and my fears.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I believe in the concept of karma and what goes around comes around.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I do believe in karma.  But I do think effects of karma take place in this life and in future lives.  You may not see it in this life, but he may live his next life as a snake.

Honored Contributor

I can understand why karma is appealing but, no, I don't believe in it.

Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

This is an interesting question, and I think faith, religion, spirituality, etc. will naturally play a part in the way people answer.  I don't believe in karma as far as any higher power or hocus pocus is concerned.  But, scientifically speaking, I do believe in the law of averages.  And there are only so many times you can leave destruction in your wake and not have it come back to bite you in the azz.  I think we all know someone like the miscreant you describe in your OP, and, sadly, retribution doesn't always come to those who deserve it.  Of course, he's not out of the woods yet though!  Did you ever see Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors?"  It touches on this very topic (and is one of my all-time favorite films).

One of the most interesting and astute posts I've read in quite a while. And yes, although it's been ages since I saw the movie, I remember thinking it was a classic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I believe that you get back, to a certain extent, what you give.  I'd like to believe that those who've got it coming, get it, if you know what I mean.  I'm not sure if it's exactly that way, though.  But along the line, as someone already said, the law of averages will do its thing.

BTW..that person sounds so nasty.  Hopefully you don't have to spend too much time around him.  Truthfully, he may appear to have everything, but when someone leaves destruction in his path, when someone hurts others without remorse, there's something inside that is very unhappy, angry, dissatisfied, depressed or insecure within.  Perhaps he's mentally ill. JMHO

Respected Contributor

I could not have said it any better than you colliegirls!  Stay well everyone.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Hyacinth,

Yes, I do believe in karma.  I too had a close relative who fit the same exact description of your relative.  My relative was a habitual liar, who physically threatened, as well as filed false charges against other family members for something his girlfriend did.  He committed arson, forgery, stole from his immediate family, denied his own children, along with many other despicable things that caused my entire family to turn our backs on him.  No one spoke to him, visited him, or had anything whatsoever to do with him for the last 15 years of his life.  All the while he appeared to be thriving and happy, and bragging to his "friends", about his million dollar plus bank account.  Then one spring day a routine visit to his doctor at the VA winds up with him being admitted with a very serious issue that took a bad turn.  He was transferred to another VA facility, where he remained a patient for 6 months, going thru one crisis after another.   My relative never left that facility, and the last months of his life were filled with pain and continuous bad news. Only his children, the very ones he turned his back on when they needed him, went to visit.  He died alone, and the nurses on the floor commented to his children how his pillow cases were always wet from his tears.   Only his children, their family, his 6 friends, and a couple of distant cousins who wondered where the rest of us were, attended his funeral.  My Sunday School teacher Mamaw always reminded me that "you reap what you sow", and I do believe my family saw that happen with our relative.   And that huge bank account he was so obsessed with, is being enjoyed immensely by his children!