Trusted Contributor

Do you believe animals can see ghosts/spirits?

My son lives in a house that my grandfather built, and it has always been in our family.  My aunt died suddenly in that house on New Years day in 1987.  Sometime after that my other aunt and uncle used it as their summer home and eventually sold it to my son about 3 years ago. 

My son has a pet pig (yes a pig) named Milo.  He lives in the house with him, and he's outdoor potty trained and is very clean.  He's adorable!  Smiley Happy  Several times in the past year or so my son has witnessed Milo doing something strange and unsettling.  Completely out of the blue he becomes suddenly alert and aware of something and appears to be staring at something or someone.  He sometimes starts walking toward "it", sometimes growling, sometimes wagging his tail, and sometimes his hair stands on end.  My son says he appears to be sniffing "it" up and down as he moves his head.  He has done this in various places in the house, but it always comes out of nowhere and sometimes when he's laying perfectly content in his bed.  He eventually settles down, but it is always unsettling when it happens.  My son took a video of this behavior one night, and it was very strange, to say the least.

I can't say that I believe in ghosts or spirits, but I can't say that I don't either. I could tell you endless stories about my sister's house (previously owned by my grandparents).  I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for Milo's strange behavior.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe animals can see ghosts/spirits?

I've experienced the same kind of strange behavior with my cat and 2 of my granddogs.

Like they are alert and suddenly staring at something I can't see. (and its not something out a window or anything, just a spot in a space in the room).

I feel the same way about ghosts.(not sure)

But maybe spirits?

It is very strange and eerie.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Yes, animals can see spirits of people who have passed.  So can some people. 

Where I live, it is quite common to have "company" that lives in the house with you. There is a lot  of history here.

if your grandfather built the house, your house friend is probably a family member still looking after things and probably surprised Milo is in the house.  That would make my grandparents and Aunts come back to take a look.

Honored Contributor

animals are super sensitive to things humans can not see or hear.

I think he senses some kind of object that is invisible to the human eye.

Esteemed Contributor

Our basset hound used to sit at attention looking at the spot MIL used to sit on our sofa.  No one there. She'd watch that spot for a very long time.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I do believe that animals can sense things that we cannot.  Perhaps they can see things as well.  

Honored Contributor

I believe animals can sense noises and sounds relating to spirits.  I used to have cats and they always would show signs of seeing something I couldn't see, and reacting in different ways.  I know there are many who would pooh pooh this and think it silly or ridiculous for that matter.  However, there is much we do not know nor have answers to, mysteries of life.  I find it interesting that Milo is possibly seeing a ghost and or spirit.  Children also show signs of interaction with the same.

I have had a few unexplained situations over the years which I didn't have an answer for then or now.  Many people have.  It could be an over active imagination or it could be something real which cannot be given a logical explanation.  I do not dismiss any of it but keep an open mind.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, but my golden can predict the future. She never fails to sit by my front door in a trance...that's when I know way in advance that the UPS truck is on the way. She's waiting for Chewy's box of goodies...Woman LOL ...even when there is no Chewy box coming, she just thinks there is.

Esteemed Contributor

No I don't.   Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Our house was built in1902,I don't know how many people lived or if any died here.Our dog will look up when she has been sleeping and just stare and then her head moves like she is following something.This has happened many times.Of course I don't see anything,it doesn't bother me though.