Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe animals can see ghosts/spirits?

Absolutely not.  We expect/hope that any pet can recognize or respond to anything remotely supernatural.  We assume that because he doesn't respond to us in a language and that said pet is not human.  And anyone will tell you just how moronic human beings can be.  So brilliant dog,cat, goat, etc can communicate with the dead, sleeping, or otherwise engaged humans.  And it makes us feel better.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe, but I don't want to live in a world where there isn't a possibility that they see ghosts and spirits. I know my cats and dog always exhibited the staring-off-into-space-on alert-behavior. Sometimes, tho' I suspect it was a mouse in the walls or a squirrel on the roof.

One night as I was laying on the loveseat watching TV my two cats and my dog became a team.... it was instantaneous. A cat went on each side of the couch across from me in full hunting mode and the dog went to the middle of the couch barking and growling. I sat up in alarm...watching, my heart pounding as all three lured a chipmunk out of hiding!

Luckily, I grabbed a broom. The cat and dog machine maneuvered the little animal around my living room. Now a part of the team, I was able to shoo it out the front door. No spirit that time.

However, I live in a wooded area that used to be colonial farms with remnants of a very old stonewall in my backyard...so I don't rule out that some of the alerts might just be ghosts wandering by...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think animals can definitely sense things, and especially when people or other pets pass away. In January of 2014, I had to put my beagle down. A few weeks later, my mom came to visit and had her dog Bella with her. Bella immediately went behind the chair where Bailey used to escape to when she came over. She looked for him for a few minutes and we told her Bailey was gone. Eventually she stopped looking for him. And the morning after my grandfather died that November, the cat I had started laying in his chair. She never did that while he was alive, she would always lay on the floor or with me in my recliner. But I've always believed in the supernatural so it's not a stretch for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From my experience with my dogs ,for years there are some that have a higher sense being able to know things ,like a person has died ,i had a old english ,though not smart knew when our son died, she spent lots of her day with him in his apartment that was attached to our home, he was in a wheel l chair ,he passed and she did not want to go over ,my husband would spend time there ,she would go ,then a few minutes later ,wanted to leave.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Sue98

Was there someone "evil" who lived there?  I can't imagine any soul leaving Heaven to hang around their old house.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely...100%...

Esteemed Contributor

I've heard stories. And animals have instincts. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Yes, I believe animals, from felines to humans, can see or sense spirits. I’m not saying that is what’s happening in your case, of course. 

Regular Contributor

I don't know if they can actually see them, but I'm convinced they sense their presence at times.

Honored Contributor

I believe their senses are unadulterated the way humans lose their sixth senses as they get older.

If people can see auras or sense a loved one around them, why not animals?

I believe in loving spirits; humans and animals alike can certainly sense them.

I would never refer to a person as "moronic" for believing that animals can sense spirits, either.   Sheesh.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh