Respected Contributor

Re: Do you bake Christmas cookies?

Usually a batch or two around Christmas either chocolate chip, oatmeal chocolate chip, or peanut butter with a Hershey kiss on top. (I am seeing a theme here... chocolate...)

Hmmm, I am now seeing a cookie baking day tomorrow! 😉 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I used to, but no one eats that kind of stuff now.

Respected Contributor

I started baking cookies at Christmas as a young girl with my mother and grandmother and have baked them ever since. I usually make 15-20 different kinds and close to 3,000 cookies. I sold a few trays but gave most of them as gifts.

This is the first year in about 40 years that I'm not baking! It feels strange not to be doing it, but I just don't feel like it besides how much work it is. I'm only making one batch of  Snickerdoodles because they're my dad's favorite. 

I feel like I have plenty of time to get other things done because I don't have to devote a week to baking. I'll see if I continue my "no baking" next year.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not anymore--I don't need the sugar and no one else does either, however, I will bake some biscotti to give away. Used to bake alot but never enjoyed doing cookies, too much time in cookies. My fave is making pate chou or cream puffs. Such an easy thing and really so versatile. I enjoyed making marshmallows too, lots of time there but oh so yummy .I did make 2 dozen sugar cookies for my 2 kids to decorate when they were little, tho.

Honored Contributor

Diabetes put the kibosh on Christmas cookies at my house, but it's fun to read what others are baking on this thread.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Diabetes put the kibosh on Christmas cookies at my house, but it's fun to read what others are baking on this thread.

Same problem at my house.  I'll still bake a batch of meringues with chocolate chips or maybe a pan of fudge.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do to give as gifts. I even make mini loaves of fruitcake for a large Holiday party at a local arboretum. It wouldn't be a Holiday party without my fruitcake!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

I know you don't really feel like doing this, but oh my how wonderful that you are! These are memories and traditions she will carry on with her children and grandchildren. This is the true spirit of Christmas, doing things like this with the ones we love. 

I think this is so special and I believe you may never know how many years into the future, she thinks back and remembers this weekend. It will definitely be part of the fabric of her holiday memories and traditions.

I bake a ton of Christmas cookies, and my son used to help me when he was younger. He's 20 now and not so interested, so I do them alone now. I too have cut back on the quantity. I still make all the different kinds, just fewer of each. I make about 6 kinds of cookies and 6 kinds of candy. I love doing it, but wish I had someone to share the experience with. Maybe in the future, I'll have a grand that enjoys it too! Enjoy the weekend.

Trusted Contributor

I have baked cookies every year for about the last 40 years!

But mine are simple, snowballs (which have a variety of different names) They are buttery cookies with walnuts and rolled in powdered sugar.  They are messy but sooo good!  I also make banana bars which taste a lot like banana bread or cake)  Then I make just plain chocolate chips with red and green sprinkles!! 

I do about 2 dozen of each and they are all gone by New Years!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

When my girls were small, we baked and decorated cookies on Christmas Eve.   We always had fun, as well as a big mess between sprinkles, colored sugar, and decorator icing.   

We stopped making cookies in their teens, and they divided the cookie cutters; each taking their favorites.    

I only concentrate on our food for Christmas, which will be ham and lasagna this year.  I don't make fudge, cookies, snack mix, dipped pretzels or any sweet treats.   If Mom makes us an applesauce cake, I slice it and wrap the slices well to put in the freezer.   We do our best maintain diabetic control thru the holidays.