Honored Contributor

Re: Do you agree or disagree with this statement ?

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

"What good is it to save the planet if humanity suffers ?"- Rex W. Tillerson, Exxon Mobile

That's a short-sighted way of thinking because his job is short-term when compared to the effects of global warming.

And he's hugely invested in making people believe that. It's like getting his opinion on whether your next car should be gas or electric - what do you think he's going to say?

From one CB to another CB - Smiley Happy  I like what you had to say here and it's the closest to how I perceive it.   We so often agree and sometimes we don't.   That matters not one iota.    But I always look forward to what you have to say about any given subject and appreciate your thoughtful insights.

What a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much! I like being in the company of interesting women who are able to discuss anything from The Walking Dead to global warming, so I enjoy your contributions as well. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Aww, thanks CB!  That is very kind and it means a lot to me.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

"What good is it to save the planet if humanity suffers ?"- Rex W. Tillerson, Exxon Mobile

Would have to read ENTIRE speach before making a comment concerning a statement that is taken out of context.  Do you have the link?

@CrazyDaisy - Here's one article about his speech to shareholders.  I think he makes his position clear.

Tillerson

The question was if we agree or disagree with a specific statement.  The statement was taken out of context so I will need to read the speech where the statement was made in order to comment.

In regards to his position, well that would take the discussion "off topic", so I will not comment on that.  If you would like to start another discussion about that I will be happy to respond there.

You asked for a link.  I posted one.  I also had one to the entire 15-page minutes of the shareholders' meeting, including who said what, but I thought that was a bit much.  But you could always google it if you need to read the whole thing (so you can answer the question).

Respected Contributor

Hi, Lila,  In context, the statement seems to be self-serving. 

We live on the planet so if it suffers, sooner or later, all the beings on it (plant, animal and human) will suffer, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Homegirl...I love, love, love it.  It gave me a good laugh and if you think about it, it makes a whole lot of sense.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@June222 wrote:

Humanity is just a speck....a fly on the wall....not important....in the scheme of things related to the Earth. We will die off. The Earth will survive. To think otherwise shows Man's huge ego...laughable. Man is only a troublesome Hemororroid....

I believe the movie was Crocodile Dundee .....  and he made a comment about how humans thinking they own the earth was just so laughable.  

"It's like two fleas on a dog's back arguing about which one of them owns the dog"

Esteemed Contributor

I'm waiting to see if there will be an investigation into their own findings at least 35 years ago that fossil fuels caused the climate to change and hiding the evidence like tobacco did with lung cancer. Meanwhile they still run ads that tout their product while hiding the truths that they themselves found.
Honored Contributor

'All I know' is that a lot of folks around here, sitting in their cars, engines running, texting or whatever, for lots and lots of minutes before they decide to 'take off' and drive away.  On nice, not hot/not cold days, too.  Sometimes, they are still sitting there, engines running, by the time we arrive back from our walk. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Lila BelleI think it would be hard to argue that man's use of fossil fuels is not a major part of the problem, but I also don't think many people are ready to give up a life style made possible by those very same fuels.

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

Would have to read ENTIRE speach before making a comment concerning a statement that is taken out of context.  Do you have the link?

@CrazyDaisy - Here's one article about his speech to shareholders.  I think he makes his position clear.

Tillerson

The question was if we agree or disagree with a specific statement.  The statement was taken out of context so I will need to read the speech where the statement was made in order to comment.

In regards to his position, well that would take the discussion "off topic", so I will not comment on that.  If you would like to start another discussion about that I will be happy to respond there.

You asked for a link.  I posted one.  I also had one to the entire 15-page minutes of the shareholders' meeting, including who said what, but I thought that was a bit much.  But you could always google it if you need to read the whole thing (so you can answer the question).

With all due respect, the link you posted was an article about an event that occured.  It does not contain the statement the OP asked for comment.

In order to comment on a specific, random statement taken out of context it seems prudent to ask the OP for a link to the entire exchange so it can be put in context.  I have no intention of searching for anything.  If the OP poster had intended to have a reasonable discussion she would have provided the information.  Since my request was ignored, it seems fairly clear what the intent of the question really was.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.