Honored Contributor

Re: Do you agree or disagree with this statement ?

Oh puleeezzzze.............it's very possible to be environmentally responsible and NOT "suffer" from the effort.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi  i agree!

Honored Contributor

I haven't bought gas from any Exxon station since the Valdez oil spill.  Exxon just ran away and left others to clean up their environmental disaster, while paying lip service to how they would "take responsibility".  Disgusting how they were allowed to get away with it.

Their bottom line is greed, so this man's statement fits right in with that.  Nothing has changed.

Respected Contributor

This reminds me of the time I heard a lecture on a cruise ship about the evils of fossil fuel - with the audience all nodding in agreement about how awful it was.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

The Earth will eventually take care of itself if we don't take care of it. We are like a virus on this planet and the Earth knows how to rid itself of the virus. The Earth will continue on long after we are gone.

Well said! When Mother Earth is totally fed up with humanity and it's ways we will go the way of the dinosaurs! Next!

Respected Contributor

So the world is a giant "zero-sum game".  That's one perspective.  I'll take a pass.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

"What good is it to save the planet if humanity suffers ?"- Rex W. Tillerson, Exxon Mobile

Would have to read ENTIRE speach before making a comment concerning a statement that is taken out of context.  Do you have the link?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Humanity is just a speck....a fly on the wall....not important....in the scheme of things related to the Earth. We will die off. The Earth will survive. To think otherwise shows Man's huge ego...laughable. Man is only a troublesome Hemororroid....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

"What good is it to save the planet if humanity suffers ?"- Rex W. Tillerson, Exxon Mobile

Would have to read ENTIRE speach before making a comment concerning a statement that is taken out of context.  Do you have the link?

@CrazyDaisy - Here's one article about his speech to shareholders.  I think he makes his position clear.

Tillerson

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@CrazyDaisy - Here's one article about his speech to shareholders.  I think he makes his position clear.

Tillerson

The question was if we agree or disagree with a specific statement.  The statement was taken out of context so I will need to read the speech where the statement was made in order to comment.

In regards to his position, well that would take the discussion "off topic", so I will not comment on that.  If you would like to start another discussion about that I will be happy to respond there.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.