Honored Contributor

Re: Do they say when you should get a shingles shot?

Obviously call the pharmacy but I think you can walk in and receive the shot as a private pay, just like the flu shot.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:
Obviously call the pharmacy but I think you can walk in and receive the shot as a private pay, just like the flu shot.

When I went to CVS, the pharmacist took my prescription, ID, insurance card and looked up my information. This took about five minutes and she told me that my insurance company approved it.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

WE didn't need a script. We went to Walgreens, and they did it behind a screen. Our insurance paid

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

WE didn't need a script. We went to Walgreens, and they did it behind a screen. Our insurance paid

In my state of Massachusetts we do.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

In NJ, we don't need a prescription and my husband got his at Rite Aid but he was over 60. But, I would check with your pharmacy as well because they may be contracted just to do senior health. But, I administered the vaccines to 50-59 yr old people in the workplace. International travelers and caretakers requested the vaccine most but some just wanted it. Doctors who specialize in vaccines and travel medicine will administer it as well but they order it for you and in a couple of days, you go back for the vaccine. Internists in my area give it as well.
Esteemed Contributor

My plan covered it at 60 and I got it with no copay.  However it only lasts 5 or 6 years and is only about 50% effective. 

I got a very bad reaction and in addition to extreme itching and swelling at the site, for about the next 6 weeks I had chickenpox type things erupting on my legs.  I know, right?  Had them scratching their heads and checking with the manufacturer.  Some of them went really deep and took a long time to heal.  I don't know if I will do a booster.

Valued Contributor

The company that developed the vaccine, Merck I believe, only got FDA approval for people over sixty. Which is why many insurance companies won't pay until you hit 60. Kinda strange because most people who get shingles are in their 50s.

My doctor claims the vaccine is good for a lifetime, although it's only 50 percent effective. It does however make any outbreak of shingles much less painful.

I have read that there is a new shingles vaccine that will be available within a few years that is nearly 100 percent effective.

Since I was in my 50s when I got the vaccine--so many people I knew had horrible, painful cases of shingles in their 50s--my insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I paid out of pocket. It was about $130. I got it at Walgreen's but Walgreen's insisted my doctor phone in a prescription.

Esteemed Contributor

Initially, it was approved for over 60 and it is recommended for people over 60 but many people between the ages of 50-59 got shingles, so while still going with the recommendation of 60, it is now licensed and approved for people 50-59 as well but most likely in that age group it may be out of pocket expense. I am a nurse and have administered many shingles vaccine immunizations to the lower age group. The problem is it wears off and you may need a booster when older
Esteemed Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Me too.  I got it the same day as the flu shot.  The pharmacist checked insurance coverage.  Oww, it hurt afterward, but that's  just fine.