Honored Contributor

Re: Do they say when you should get a shingles shot?

This is one of those things I've put off. I plan on getting it this year. My understanding is that I will need to pay for it myself.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NanciJ wrote:

My husband and I had our shingles shots this spring....after he came down with shingles.  He's 70 and I am 65.  We definitely regret that we had not had them previously.  He was really ill, and had shingles in his right eye, and in his head...which is one of the worst places that you can get them with nerve pain.  He only recently stopped the nerve pain meds, to treat the long lasting results of the shingles.  Our daughter in law's sister had shingles at 42....which is the youngest of anyone that I know personally.   

NanciJ wrote,

I had shingles at 39.  Followed the same path as your husband's.  My migraines track the same nerve path and I thought it was just a really bad one - waited too long and put me in the hospital for 4 days.  It is THE worst place to have them and the pain is AWFUL.  I wasn't at the 'correct age' for the vaccine, so I paid OOP.  Would pay again twice over to have avoided having them.  

SO grateful for the vaccine.  Anyone who is immunosuppressed should ask about the vaccine.  I was diagnosed with RA and Lupus as a teenager.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Where I am certain pharmacies carry it most doctor's offices do not carry it and give you an RX to have it filled by the pharmacy that does have it. The shot is expensive-- about $200 when I last checked about it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Our doctor offered the shingles shot at age 60 and our insurance considers it preventative care, we both got it.

New Contributor

Another vote for Sam Elliott here!  Loved him in the Sacketts and November Christmas.  What a voice!  The volumn on the tv goes up when he's on, and everyone jokes that they can't say anything to interrupt when he speaks.  LOL

Sam's the man! 

Honored Contributor

I am under the impression its 60 not 50, my Dh had shingles 5 years ago and got the shot he was 55 at the time and my insurance would not pay even though the had shingles previously

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@cherry

You may need to contact your insurance plan because some companies will cover the cost at a later age than 50. You will need to ask when the shingles vaccine is covered by the insurance company and if its not covered at say age 50 and you want it sooner than the age the insurance company covers, you may have to cover the cost yourself with out of pocket expenses.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

DH came down with shingles back in 2010 when I was 56 years old.  I saw my PCP and told him DH had shingles.  Fortunately, my insurance covered it but, I would have paid for it anyway.  DH has a compromised immune system as he is on anti rejections medications for his kidney transplant.

Talk to your physician and even if you are not on Medicare and your insurance does not cover it, get it.  Shingles are miserable.

DH still suffers from occasional post herpetic pain and he has nerve damage going from his neck down his arm and into his fingers tips from where he broke out.  He has to take Lyrica when the pain gets unbearable.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Where I am certain pharmacies carry it most doctor's offices do not carry it and give you an RX to have it filled by the pharmacy that does have it. The shot is expensive-- about $200 when I last checked about it.

It just so happened, my PCP had two vials in his office.  The charge in 2010 was $250.00.  But, as I said, my insurance company did cover it. 

Respected Contributor

I asked my doctor and was told the same thing: age 60. Now here is what I dont understand. My dad has never had the chickenpox. My mom has had chickenpox and she got shingles in her 30's. She was an ER RN. I got the chickenpox at 15. Bad case, lasted three weeks. How did my dad not get sick? Dont get me wrong, Im haopy he didnt, but I dont understand how he didnt get chickenpox as a kid when his siblings did and when I had it as a kid? No vaccine when i was a kid. He cant get the shingles vaccine since he doesnt need it, but I wonder if he should get the chickenpox vaccine?
Honored Contributor

I recently had my shot, I went to my local CVS and they had to verify that my insurance would cover it. Because of my autoimmune illnesses, I'm terrified of getting shingles.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson