Honored Contributor

Re: Do people really buy at these prices?

If you are shocked at all this you are far younger than me.  It means you don't remember inflation in the 1970's and 80's.

We ain't seen nothing yet if it keeps going.  Oh and wages won't match it most likely.  It means you live differently.  Woman Sad  

What happens overseas affects, but a lot is how our money system is handled to cope with it because we overspend.  

Respected Contributor

@NigelSparkles   If someone ever needed an excuse to become a vegetarian, this might be the right time.  LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Even a simple sirloin or ribeye is expensive enough without going to any type of speciality beef items.....  I buy mostly chicken, turkey, and ground beef, occasionally fish.....I leave steaks for special occasions someones birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc etc when the event is at a restaurant .......

I dont know how families manage these days....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Only the average POOR American suffers... the many rich are not suffering AT ALL.

@SeaMaiden 

EVERYONE is feeling the pain these days!!!! Im sure "the rich" are watching their stock investments and businesses investments or businesses they own decline and feeling the impact and loss of funds too!!!.......And when the "rich" feel the pain what happens they invest LESS in business opportunities that employ people and generate jobs, so this impacts employment....or if their current business is experiencing heavy losses the result may be layoffs....or if applicable they raise prices to make up for lost investments or business...."The rich" don't keep their money in an ivory tower ..... EVERYONE no matter their income is impacted....And even "the rich's" philanthropy and donations to charitable organizations are also impacted by this too---less funds to help those in need. Our economy goes around in a circle....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

It doesn't surprise me. People spend a lot of money on caviar, champagne, lobster, etc. so why not splurge on beef.
Honored Contributor

of course people will buy whatever the market demands.

they are not going to stock expensive cuts of meats if people dont buy them regularly.

we have a few high end butcher shops that sell excellent cuts and qualities of meats and people will buy them. even sams club has their "meat behind glass" versus their meat in the coolers. if you are a meat connoisseur then you absolutely can tell the difference. it doesnt necessarily mean you are eating those cuts every day.

think about bottles of wine. you can buy a bottle of red for under $10 or you can spend $50 plus on a bottle of wine. i prefer to buy better qualities of gin and not buy the bottom shelf brands that are sometimes 1/4 of the price of what the better brands cost.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

No, I would not buy it even if I found it. Never heard of it.

We buy ground beef from Sam's in bulk and eat steaks occasionally from Charleston's.

Honored Contributor

Not in my area of WV, as none of our simple stores carry anything at all like pictured here.  

Our meat cases offer only basic cuts of beef and pork, but will make specialty cuts and am guessing they would order your special requests with just a phone call.  

Respected Contributor

Just looking at it makes me gag.. 

Honored Contributor

Flat iron steaks come from the chuck region and are not usually expensive cuts. They were the worst steaks I ever had. They were developed as a way for restaurants to market the cheaper beef. I read a few articles about how they were developed and marketed to consumers. I tried them after they were developed as a cut. Of course, they were not made from Japanese Waygu beef back then.