Honored Contributor

Re: Do any of you use raw water?

When I was little we had a cow and she was healthy and we drank her raw milk. Don't think I'd drink raw milk from another person's cow though.With 6 children to feed my folks depended on that cow's milk and they did keep her frequently checked by the vet and very healthy.

Honored Contributor

@151949  I think you were lucky.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When I was little we had a cow and she was healthy and we drank her raw milk. Don't think I'd drink raw milk from another person's cow though.With 6 children to feed my folks depended on that cow's milk and they did keep her frequently checked by the vet and very healthy.

I live near a very large population of Mormons, they drink raw milk from their cows to this day.    Every now and then I'm blessed with a gallon for myself, it's wonderful.   I have Crohns and have had many surgeries and I am very careful of what I eat & drink but this milk is to die for.

Respected Contributor

Well water user here ....  having our well tested is vital.  Regardless, I drink only reverse osmosis water.  When my grandmother died of bladder cancer....I read an article that discussed the dangers of chlorine, she drank "city water."   I swore I would never drink chlorinated water, and I do not:

https://www.theridgefieldpress.com/18154/how-toxic-is-chlorine-in-drinking-water/

"But others aren’t so sure that any chlorine in drinking water should be considered safe. Opponents of chlorination point to studies linking repeated exposure to trace amounts of chlorine in water with higher incidences of bladder, rectal and breast cancers.

The problem lies in chlorine’s ability to interact with organic compounds in fresh water to create trihalomethanes (THMs), which when ingested can encourage the growth of free radicals that can destroy or damage vital cells in the body. Besides cancer, exposure to THMs has been linked to other health issues including asthma, eczema, heart disease and higher miscarriage and birth defect rates."

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I wouldn't touch the stuff

“The lack of clean water kills hundreds of thousands of children a year,” said Francl, who is also a scholar at the Vatican Observatory. “So this notion of raw water is crazy.”

Honored Contributor

An interesting topic and thanks to @Plaid Pants for her perseverance.

I take exception, though, to any promotion of raw water (lakes) or raw milk, regardless of whether an individual partook and lived to talk about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think you can get very sick from raw milk. There is something called undalent fever, not sure of the spelling, you can get from raw milk

Honored Contributor

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9306

.. This tells about the dangers of raw milk

Honored Contributor

Oh, and for those who might be comtemplating drinking lake water, consider this: Do you know the reason for the strong precautions on the label of any sinus irrigation device?

It's to prevent the possibility of contracting a horrible brain disease associated with raw or contaminated water. It's called Naegeria fowleri, an amoeba that attacks the brain and is 97% fatal. It is thankfully rare.

In the 10 years from 2007 to 2016, 40 infections were reported in the U.S. Of those cases, 36 people were infected by recreational water, 3 people were infected after performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water, and 1 person was infected by contaminated tap water used on a backyard slip-n-slide

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland