Respected Contributor

Re: Do any of you use raw water?

I have. There is a spring by my FIL's house. That is all he drinks. We also get our water at camp from the spring.

Esteemed Contributor

Since raw water is "Water found in the environment that has not been treated, nor have any minerals, ions, particles, or living organisms been removed.  It's rain water, ground water, water from infiltration wells, and water from sources like lakes and rivers."

I cannot imagine paying the kind of prices someone mentioned up-front for the above-sourced water.  Sounds like a scam.

We live in a city with an administration spending bucks on pet projects, so our water is not in decent condition, in my opinion.  When I turn on the faucet get a face full of chlorine fumes because we don't have adequate water treatment plants and often hear local reports of pseudomonas and clostridium in the water, amongst other nasty bacteria, I continue to head for my gallon bottles of water, which have been adequately filtered and treated.

Would I pay for Raw Water?  NO!  Would I drink Raw Water now?  No!  Have I consummed Raw Water in the past?  Yes, in Michigan from wells.  However, above that lake water mentioned above:  Unbeknownst to us, one Halloween, when we had taken a trip back to Michigan, my Aunt Margaret, who always had 2 bottles of chilled water in the frig, failed to tell anyone the source of the water.  My husband and I each had a glass of water from one of those quart bottles and became quite ill.  We were eventually diagnosed with Salmonella, thanks to my ____t aunt, who plopped her quart bottles in a lake on their property, twisted the caps on and chilled them in the frig for consumption.  I've never been so ill in my life!  Lake water - right...

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

I have. There is a spring by my FIL's house. That is all he drinks. We also get our water at camp from the spring.

@nun ya.  Yes I grew up with an underground spring near my house. Everyone came to fill their containers including my family. This was a long time ago. It cannot be used anymore.

Honored Contributor

I hardly drink water from the faucet any more.  I really don't know how safe it is.  When I was younger, I would drink from the faucet all the time.  Where I live they are constantly shutting the water off for an hour here and there for repairs (that does not sound good to me).  I never heard of the term "raw water."   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I have well water here but there is a gas well near me. Although I get it checked by an independent lab once a year, I drink bottled water. Since I consume a lot of water, it just seems better in the long run. I have NO high allusions that any lab is safe from big energy companies. Now I sound like a conspiracy nut! I'm really not.

Honored Contributor

Well water can be contaminated by many things in nature as well as chemical run off from farmers fields. We had great tasting well water for years until our well was hit by lightening. For some reason the water became contaminated with coliform bacteria( not sure of the spelling) and needed to have a ultra violet light. The water is not contaminated, but does not taste as good as it once had and though it is safe to drink we still run it through a filter to remove mineral tastes. I would never drink water from a river, lake , or stream without it being treated first.