Honored Contributor

Re: Do any Dept stores give you free gift boxes anymore?

YUP!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Bloomingdale's   

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Kachina624 

Besides those two you named, I have some beauties from Lord & Taylor and B. Altman's.  There is a gorgeous paper tote bag from Blum's which should probably be in a museum, lol!

Loved how you said they were passed around the family for years.....they were sturdy enough !!!

I have one of those tote bags from Blum's also.  Whenever I purchased from Marshall Field's many years ago, I would always ask for a box even if it was not a gift.  Come Christmas time, I was sure to have enough sturdy boxes for gifts.  I still have a stack of those boxes that have never been used.  

Respected Contributor

At our Macy’s you had to go to customer service to get a box and to get one had show a receipt listing each item you wanted boxed. At least that was in Christmas 2019. I haven’t been in a department store for over a year.  I appreciate a beautifully wrapped package. 

Respected Contributor

@NataliesgrammaWhen you now have to pay for meat bones that the butcher used to give away, I'm not sure there are any "freebies" in retailing anymore.

Honored Contributor

My very favorite store Von Maur does! They always know how to treat their customers right. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We had some from Wanamaker and Strawbridge & Clothier that circulated around the family for years at Christmas. 

@Kachina624   you must be from the Philadelphia area. I live in Delaware and know those names well. I have a shopping bag from Strawbridge that I am hanging on to....don't know why. 

Esteemed Contributor

I still have a couple Macy's and Kohl's boxes that I use every Christmas.  I store them with my Christmas decor.  These boxes have been passed thru our family for years.  

I know the plastic bags are easier and more convenient for the stores, but I do miss store boxes.   I also remember when all the department stores had free gift wrapping.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We had some from Wanamaker and Strawbridge & Clothier that circulated around the family for years at Christmas. 

I have corrugated cardboard gift boxes from Strawbridge & Clothier. Years ago I bought a robe for my husband and I got the box. It was so nice I use it for Christmas decorations. It is sturdy and a nice shape for the smaller decorations.

I also have a deeper corrugated gift box. I also use that for Christmas decorations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Russian co worker's first job in the U.S. was gift wrapping in a department store.  I only found out as I was trying to wrap a gift at work, and she took it over.  Made a gorgeous presentation.  I asked how she did.  They taught her at the department store.  She made wonderful ribbons and the wrapping paper always seemed to fit perfectly.

I think of her all the time.  She retired and moved to L.A. to be near her daughter.  I miss her.  She settled in an apartment.  She wanted a house, but housing market in CA is out of reach for most people.  Because of the cost of land. Last time I talked to her, she was OK and not sick.